Monday, March 3, 2014

More Than Embroidery

Yes, most of my time in the sewing room in the past week has been spent on embroidering those baby animal in pajama blocks but I have been doing other things, really I have.


While digging around searching for fabrics I found these flannel fat quarters perfect for a small quilt. I quickly got to work cutting them up into 2 1/2 inch strips and sewing those strips together. I was able to work on this little project between thread changes on my embroidery blocks. I have some flannel in the stash for some borders and the backing so baby June will have a cuddle qult to drag around.

I also managed to finish the LAST TWO animals in PJs blocks and I have to say that these designs fro Embroidery Library have sewn out just perfectly. I can't say enough good things about the digitizing from this company. Some of you had some questions about what stabilizer, threads etc. I've been using.


I used a 90/14 needle with two layers of Floriani medium weight tear away stabilizer. The first layer was hooped with the fabric and the second layer was floated under the hoop. I starched the fabric before hooping with best Pressed. each of these embroideries has between 35,000 to 48,000 stitches. I'm pleased that there's minimal pucker.


Now that all nine are don eI can get bust assembling the quilt top. Golly, with each taking about three hours of sewing time I've got almost 30 hours in this project so far and I haven't sewn a block together yet!

It's Design Wall Monday so that means visiting Patchwork Times.

Until next time,

9 comments:

  1. Those Animal embroideries are Adorable! What a cute baby quilt this will be! Thanks for the idea of how I can use some leftover baby flannel scraps! You have been very productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, can you tell I have babies on the brain? I've completely changed my idea about how to put those embroidery blocks together so stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, yes -- those animals in pi's embroideries are great. Hum, they would look cute on little night gowns for my grands but I doubt that will happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too right they would look cute on gowns for the grands I'll have to keep that in mind for when the girls are a little older. I do want to use the designs more than once if I can althoughthey weren't too expensive especially if you wait for a sale at EL.

      Delete
  3. Great job Patrica! I love the last two blocks as much as the others. This is going to be one adorable quilt. Thanks for sharing the details for some of the materials you used...your process is obviously working.

    I love your other small quilt also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanna, sometimes I forget to give all the details and I know it can be helpful to know exactly what's going on. That's why I post so many pictures, so folks can really see the good and bad and what does and doesn't work for me. On my side bar I have a button that says "I Took The Process Pledge" and that's what it stands for - sharing your process, warts and all.

      Delete
  4. Cute and bright quilt top! You embroidery did turn out so well. The designs are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now comes the second phase sewing these cuties together. I've changed my original idea now that I've seen them all together. That's what happens when you don't have a plan!

      Delete
  5. What a sweet flannel quilt and your embroidery blocks are so darn cute!! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.