Monday, March 31, 2014

Coffee & Chocolate Palate Cleanser

I really needed something a little less sweet to work on after an entire month of baby quilts so I rummaged around in the scrap bin and found these bits left over from this quilt I made two years ago for DIL Liz from the pattern Strips With a Twist by Patti Henderson offered at our local quilt shop which is now out of business.



These fabrics are pretty far from baby and I love the rich browns and contrasting black. I don't have anything left of this fabric but what you see. It looks like enough to make a table runner with the addition of some border fabric if I can find something to blend. I searched for a contrast in color but something that would match the mood of these slightly off beat fabrics.



Found it in the batik bin! I like mixing batiks with regular cottons although others might think it's a no no. The quilt police are on a lunch break today so here goes.



The biggest concern I have is that I have only one yard of this batik which if I measure oh so carefully will just squeak by for the borders and backing. Which do you think is best - the 3" top border or the 2" bottom border? It's not really a fair question because I went with the 3" border all the way around even though it made my squeaking by thing so much harder!



I have the perfect variegated thread to quilt it! Isn't that gorgeous? You know how I love me some variegated thread and I'm using it in the top and bobbin. 

That's as far as I've gotten for this Design Wall Monday but I feel pretty refreshed after this taste of coffee and chocolate. What have you been up to this week? Check out other designs at Judy's Patchwork Times. 

Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kris you're always so supportive!

      Delete
  2. You have done such a lovely job of choosing fabrics. I particularly like the selection with the red contrast. Here's hoping that your snow melts soon and that your dogwoods will still be blooming. Happy Spring!
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed from the batik queen!

      Delete
  3. Wonderfully rich colors. And I think the batik a perfect partner to your prints. Like you, I have never bought into the idea that one can't mix fabrics types. I use my eye, not a rule. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I never worry too much about matching I just go for what pleases me in the over all look of the design. Some of my friends have fits when I'm picking out fabric but they seem to like the finished piece.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.