Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Baby Quilt But No Barn

Val's Quilting Studio
Tuesday Archives #4: Baby & Barns

Val picked baby quilts and barn quilts from the way back machine this week, see what I did there Peabody and Sherman fans? I don't have any barn quilts but I certainly have baby quilts in the archives. When I read through the older posts though I was disappointed that the posts were sketchy at best so I decided to write a new post about my favorite baby quilt project from two years ago.

This Peter Rabbit quilt made for my grand daughter Paige was sewn with so much love. I machine embroidered the blocks with characters from Beatrix Potter's stories and used fabrics I'd been saving for years for just this project. 


These stories were favorites of my son when he was young and I wanted to make them part of his daughter's memories too.















Paige will be 2 years old this June and will also be a big sister by the time her birthday rolls around. I hope her Peter Rabbit quilt will always remind her how special she is to me.

Be sure to follow the link and see everyone's baby quilts and I'm sure there will be some barns too!

Until next time,












10 comments:

  1. Really really sweet, Patrica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie, you know I love my babies!

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you gave us close-ups of the embroidery....I looked through them again and again....as this quilt is just precious!!!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I so loved making this quilt and dreamed about making it for 11 years but those darned kids just wouldn't cooperate!

      Delete
  3. A very pretty and special quilt Patrica! I bet I could learn so much from you...your embroidery on the quilt blocks is fantastic! I'm sure your granddaughter will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so only time will tell. The new baby quilt is for her soon to be born baby sister and then I think I'm done with baby quilts for a while. :) I don't have a store to take classes from so all my embroidery is trial and error with the emphasis on error so thanks for the compliments. I learn a lot from the internet, what did we do before?

      Delete
  4. I grew up knowing Hunca Munca, Squirrel Nutkin, and Jemimah! Love them, and love this quilt! A lot of kids these days have only heard of Peter Rabbit, but Paige is one of the lucky ones. I hope the quilt comes with all of the stories. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were some of her daddy's favorite stories when he was little and I have such wonderful memories of reading to my boys when they were young. I included a story book collection and of course a bunny with the quilt. Our favorite characters were Mrs Tiggy Winkle and Hunca Munca, such fun to say. What were yours?

      Delete
  5. What a special quilt! Isn't Miss Potter just the bees' knees? I love how you stitched the superimposed characters on top of the others. So nice! That's a family heirloom for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing that little detail M.K. I so much enjoyed making this quilt and my granddaughter is a tiny perfect match for it too. She's small and delicate and very much a pastel girl. We'll have to see what her new sister will be like. I can hardly wait!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.