Monday, February 24, 2014

The Year of the Baby Quilt

It may not be a year of baby quilts but it is definitely the winter of baby quilts in my sewing room. Is there anything more joyous to plan, sew and finish than a baby quilt? I don't think so! My God Daughter Katie is expecting her first baby in April and I shared with you here and here the process of making a soft and fuzzy quilt for her baby but I never showed you the finish. 

 

I ask you, couldn't you just cuddle up with this in a rocking chair? I can just imagine her baby boy playing on the floor on his fuzzy blanky for tummy time. There's a tutorial to help you make one of these for your own little darling under my tutorial tab at the top of the page.


Moving on to the MAIN event - a quilt for my new grand daughter! Baby June (that's what Papa and I are calling her) is due the first part of June so I have no time to waste. I found this adorable owl fabric which blends perfectly with the color scheme in the nursery she'll be sharing with two year old big sister Paige. I don't know yet how I'll use this or even if I will but the important part is that it has inspired me to more forward with designing my project.


I have some fabric from Connecting Threads in my stash that blends perfectly with those owls. I love to mix embroidery and piecing in my quilts and if you check out the quilts tab you'll see ways I've done that in the past. Embroidery designs from Embroidery Library, Baby Animals in Pajamas, so cute but so stitch dense. Each design is around 50,000 stitches and takes up to two and a half hours to stitch if nothing goes amiss (your threads never break, tangle, twist or ...). Those kind of things NEVER happen to me!  See my Screw-up Fairy post if you don't believe me.



8 1/2 inch blocks with 2 1/2 inch sashing blocks I think. What do you think? I'll keep stitching and playing. 


Soscrppy

Finally, I managed to complete my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for February. The February color is pink and that was the challenge for me. PINK! Up until two years ago I never touched the stuff. I'm the mother of three sons, grandmother of four grandsons and until darling Claire came into my life I never had any occasion to buy, use or consort with pink. I did manage to find some very old, very small scraps of pink in my stash and came up with these three blocks for the RCC.



Isn't it amazing how changing the orientation of a few pieces can so radically change the block? Geometry baby! That dark pink is a polyester blend (gasp) and the light pink is so thin you could read newspaper through it. I can see I'm going to have to go shopping, poor pitiful me. After all, come June I'll have three grand daughters to sew for!

As usual on Mondays I'm linking up to Patchwork Times and Design Wall Monday - thanks Judy.

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. I really love that ruffled baby quilt. So cuddly. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I sure hope this much loved baby will like it too! Thanks for stopping by do come again.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new grandbaby due in June. I LOVE your embroidery and yikes! 50,000 stitches. I don't think I have done anything quite that dense....yet. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

    Pink is not a color we really see much of these days so your blocks are a nice change. Girls are catching up with the boys ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girls are catching up to the boys and I think this will be the last Grand for us - but I've said that before LOL. These embroidery designs are really nice but so labor intensive they take forever. People don't realize how much goes into these they just think you set up the machine and walk away.

      Delete
  3. That's all SO wonderful! How do you get so much done? That first blanket -- I love the "fuzzy" aspect to it, as you say. How is that done? The texture looks like something Baby would love to finger and cuddle. And the owls are adorable -- they are so popular right now! I'm not showing that photo to my daughter or I know she would say, "Make me one!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.K. I have a tutorial on the top of my page on how to make this easy, peasy baby quilt. Babies and mommy love the cuddle factor. My DIL loves those owls so I think they'll be a hit you're right they are quite popular now. Retirement has been wonderful for my sewing time and now I'm able to get sooooooo much more done but I have very little free time anyway, how does that work?

      Delete
  4. Beautiful rag quilt and your embroidery blocks are so cute!! 2 1/2 hours for each.....wow! Great pink blocks too! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Connie you inspire so many to keep creating!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.