Monday, February 17, 2014

The Screw-up Fairy Was Here


A couple of years ago my friend Jeannie gave me this plaque for my sewing room because she knows me, yes she does. This fairy spent quite a bit of time with me this past week, the little devil! 




I was happily zipping along, quilting my valentine table runner when I happened to glance to my right and what did I see?  Look closely, see that rat's nest of thread. What the hell? Where did that come from?





My machine was threaded like this. The red thread was through the machine and giving me no problems. The white thread was un-threaded and just sitting there. But as I had been sewing they had somehow been un-spooling together and creating this wondrous mess off to the side for lord knows how long, completely unnoticed by me! Oblivious much?



Meanwhile the sewing machine was un-phased and continued to sew a perfect seam! My fairy companion was working overtime on this one. Chris says the red thread is in the shape of a heart if you squint cuz she loves me don't you know. She should love me I certainly give her a fine home and plenty to keep her occupied!

So, what's the result of all this you might ask? Remember, I was experimenting with using my embroidery machine to quilt this runner (read about it here) and while I didn't get perfect placement with the design I think it turned out pretty anyway. I've bumped up the contrast in the photo in hopes that you can see it a little better but red thread on red fabric does make it hard to see. That was on purpose. I didn't want it to be too obvious for my first attempt. 




The overall table runner came out so cute and served as the perfect back drop for my valentine bouquet of red roses from Chris.  



 One more little thing on Valentine's Day but really an idea you could use for any day. Our quilting group, the Needle Nellies had a Valentine party last week and we exchanged silly valentines just like when we were kids. I wanted to do something a little special for our hostess Kathy so instead of a kiddy valentine I made her this mug rug for her morning/afternoon libation, finished my new favorite way with a simple raggedy edge.



Here's hoping the Screw-up Fairy doesn't pay you too many visits this week. and remember -
"One who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything." Edward J. Phelps (lawyer and diplomat, 1822-1900)

Linking up with Judy's Patchwork Times and Design Wall Monday - go on over and get inspired by all the wonderful, creative people you'll find there. 

Linking up with Off the Wall Friday at Creations-Quilts, Art, Whatever by Nina Marie

Until next time,

28 comments:

  1. Good Evening Patrica, I smiled when I saw your plaque... I have to tell you I am the same and I stand by what Edward J Phelps said as well..... how else are we going to grow if we don't have hiccups along the way. I love your heart runner it is so pretty and you have a lovely husband..... he bought you roses for St Valentine's Day, which look perfect on your runner.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris outdid himself this anniversary, we spent a lovely day together doing all the things we enjoy but most of all just spending the day together. The roses were a wonderful bonus.

      Delete
  2. So that's where the Screw Up Fairy goes when she's not flitting around here! :)
    I've experienced the same thing with the thread!! Aggravating as the dickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a surprise to look over and see that mess as things seemed to be going so well up until then. Oh well, I suppose I should have suspected something as things NEVER go that smoothly around here for long. :{

      Delete
  3. I love your fairy plaque!
    Just scoop up that thread pile and stuff it inside a glass Christmas ball. Then you'll have something beautiful to remember when it happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good Idea. I cut it up and put it outside for the birds. DOn't worry though I'm sure there will be more where that came from!

      Delete
  4. I thought the screw up fairy lived in my sewing room. You must have the 'slightly' screw up fairy :)

    Your table runner is adorable, I'm so glad it worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This little fairy must have a brigade of cousins or something as she just can't be so many places at once! Thanks for the encouragement, I think it came out nice too and I love the hearts so much.

      Delete
  5. I laughed when I saw the plaque, but am sure your reaction to that rat's nest wasn't the same! Good heavens, that's maddening. Well, you made some lovelies afterward so the screwup fairy can stick that in her ear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think she can get ALL that in her tiny little ear? Maybe if I cut it up really, really well...

      Delete
  6. ARG! I did giggle a bit...but only out of empathy! My big thing today was sewing along without realizing my bobbin was empty! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, if I had a nickle for all the times I've done that we could go to lunch at a really nice restaurant, the kind with linen napkins and more than one fork!

      Delete
  7. Damned Screw Up Fairy...I thought she lived here! I've actually done that (not that MUCH) before with a spare spool of thread, just sitting. Your results are beautiful - glad you had some big spools of thread! Happy Tuesday - hope she doesn't rear her ugly head the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looks so pretty and innocent doesn't she? That's why looks are deceptive and I'm glad I had BIG spools of thread too. I must have had a premonition when I bought those. By the way Connecting Threads has awesome thread for a great price FYI.

      Delete
  8. love your screw up fairy. if I had her I wouldnt mind her visit so much. LOL
    your Valentine runner is beautiful. I guess your sewing angel fought the fairy to help you win! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a positive spin, maybe a I do have a sewing angel to balance things out because the table runner did turn out nice in the end. I just love fairies in general and have them hanging around all over my sewing room. Maybe the rest ganged up on her and told her to lay off!

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous example of the Screw-Up Fairy's work! I can SOOO relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good perspective - a fabulous example of her work indeed! I'm amazed at how she can get so much 'GOOD' work done around here. LOL

      Delete
  10. Beautiful table runner and I still can't figure out how you were using the red thread and it was also mixing in with the ivory and.......continued to quilt! That is the cutest little saying and what a cute mug rug! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy oh boy Connie, I can't figure it out either! I was flabbergasted! Then again I'm often flabbergasted so nothing new there. These things happen to keep us humble I guess. ;)

      Delete
  11. I need that plaque. My latest project was one screw-up after another.

    I love the runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what we all need is what another commenter mentioned - a sewing angel. She could help us through these mishaps and keep us from using bad words when they do occur. I'm really bad about the language thing but I'm working on it.

      Delete
  12. Ah, yes, the screw-up fairy could live here, too. That's a smashing tangle of thread, there must be a way to incorporate it into an art piece. The runner and mug rug look very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine a wild bird of paradise piece with natural feathers or maybe a fairy tangled in that thing?

      Delete
  13. ha! ha! you made me laugh, we have all done things like that and will continue to do so. your runner came out great. who knows maybe you could use the thread to embellish something - birds nest maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late I gave it to the actual birds but I should have thought of that it would have made an awesome soft sculpture.

      Delete
  14. ha! The screw-up Fairy spent the entire day here in my studio. It took hours to do (un-do, do, undo) a simple block. oy.
    That was fun to read. I had the thread thing happen and it got all kind of tangled up inside the machine which took a hospital visit to fix.
    LeeAnna
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sooooooooooo glad that didn't happen here but sorry it happened to you. What a royal pain. I also spent yesterday sewing and unsewing the same block 4 times! I finally walked a way in disgust. When I came back an hour later I re-cut and sewed the thing in 15 minutes no problem. Sometimes my head is just not in the right frame...

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.