Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Saltine Toffee Crunchies

I've officially hit my limit. Which limit is that you might ask? Remember when I told you that I had donated more than 40 cookbooks to our local library book sale? That should have given you some clue that I have a recipe collection problem. Letting go of those cookbooks was my first step in getting control of that. Still, I kept at least 40 more cookbooks which are my favorites and I just couldn't part with for various reason and there's always the internet and the wonderful food displayed there every day with PICTURES!

Before the cookbook purge.
Enter Pinterest. I love Pinterest, loose myself there sometimes for hours and have to limit my time or I'd get nothing else done, seriously. My favorite thing on Pinterest? Recipes! Instead of just collecting them though I'm determined to try them out and IF I find them worthy I'll pass them on to you and if I don't they'll go into the internet trash can. 

My favorite category of recipe? Dessert. We only eat dessert on weekends so it make take a while to wade through all those recipes I've collected. Oh, woe is me.

Here's my first try-out. This recipe has been all over Pinterest and I was intrigued by the idea of turning saltines into some kind of sweet treat. Didn't sound possible but multiple sources assured me that this stuff was great. I combined them all and came up with this.

Butter and sugar a good start to any dessert.


Once it's melted together pour it all over a layer of saltines in a rimmed baking sheet. This looks like a real mess doesn't it? Don't worry it's gonna be all right. Pop it in the oven and bake for 5 or 6 minutes until it's bubbly.


Dump chocolate chips on top wait a minute and then spread them out. If your chips don't spread easily pop the pan bake in the warm oven for a minute and then spread. Cover with chopped nut and cool.

You're Welcome!

Saltine Toffee Crunchies
Adapted from various internet sources

4 ounces saltine cracker (a whole sleeve of saltines, I weighed them)
1 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer. Don't worry about the crackers touching or lining up all pretty, it won't matter in the final product.
  3. In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes until the chips are melty and soft. If your chips need some help just slip the tray back in the warm oven for a minute or two. Spread melted chocolate  to cover and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.
Notes: You can get creative here. How about white chocolate chips or butterscotch or a combo? The topping could be anything that strikes your fancy - any nuts, party sprinkles, crushed peppermint. Whatever.

These are sooooo good and super easy. My Pinterest board is going to be full of great treats I've actually made! Sky's the limit I guess. Don't forget to pin it.

Until next time,

14 comments:

  1. I love toffee! These sound delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are surprisingly good. I was a skeptic but I'm glad I tried them now I have to stop myself from making them ALL the time.

      Delete
  2. Good Evening Patrica, Oh my word...... this sounds just up my street.....lots of toffee and lots of chocolate.... I am such a chocoholic.
    Can I ask what saltines are, as I am not familiar with them. I looked at the photograph and they look like, what we call, Ritz Crackers.
    The is definitely something I am going to try.... actually, I can't wait.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might know saltines as "soda crackers". Beware, this recipe is good :) Bet you can't eat just one. My grandma used to make them.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I think you would say soda crackers, plain white crackers with salt on one side. We use them mainly when we have soup as they don't have much flavor on their own. My mom used to crush them up into a glass and cover with milk, eat with a spoon. I like them spread with butter as a throwback childhood treat.

      Delete
    3. Good Evening Patrica, Thank you and thank you to the Canuckquilter, I am now on the hunt for soda crackers.
      I bet I don't eat just one..... maybe I will make them when my family are around so that I don't end up munching on too many.
      Best Wishes
      Daphne

      Delete
  3. I am so making these. My family is going to love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your family will love them and they could not be any easier. ;)

      Delete
  4. Yummmm. That does look good! How can you go wrong with brown sugar, butter and chocolate? :) I have a similar recipe that starts with graham crackers on the bottom, but is the same. It's a favorite.
    I have shelves of cookbooks, and I love them. They were wedding gifts. But I also use Pinterest, and that's where I collect go-to recipes for my church cooking. It's so easy to organize them there, and the photos help so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, oh, graham crackers! That sounds super good too. I would really like graham crackers. It was soooooo hard to part with those cook books but in reality I rarely used most of them and I needed to de-clutter my space. I kept my favorites some of which I've had for my whole 46 yrs. of married life and some of which are brand new. Most of my books are written in, notations about how I use, change, add to a recipe. Perhaps my grands will like to have them some day.

      Delete
  5. My mouth is literally watering... I love the sweet/salty combination of ANYTHING! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    I'm registered on Pinterest but honestly, haven't visited much. That is going to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I may have started something here. Just don't blame me when you find yourself lost in all the eye candy, LOL. Did you see the reply above where MK says she uses graham crackers instead of saltines? Delish.

      Delete
  6. these are good and I have made them as an extra treat on my cookie tray or for gift giving. everyone loves them and they are easy peasy. Pinterest is a great source of inspiration. even quiltwise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I had a winner. That Pinterest can get us into trouble but can also be so much fun, My Quilt Idea board has so many pins but I love revisiting all those inspirations for color ideas and layouts.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.