Friday, February 28, 2014

February NewFO Challenge

This is my first time joining the NewFO Challenge but this challenge is so easy how can I resist? All you have to do is start a project no finishes required. Heck, I can do that in my sleep! In fact I have done that in my sleep, I start projects in my sleep all the time. Then I wake up and add them to my to do list. That's why my UFO list is so darn long, I'm sleep sewing!

This month I started two baby quilts for two very special to me babies. I finished the ruffled rag quilt for my God-Daughter's baby. You can see it here and I started on the embroidery for a baby quilt for our own new grand baby due in June. 


These blocks are turning out so darn cute but boy are they sew intensive! Each sew out is taking between two and three hours. You read that right. There are between 30,000 and 45,000 stitches in each one and that's a long time to sew on a home machine. I'm happy with the way they're turning our though because the detail in each one is so fantastic. The PJ's each are different with little embellishments that make me want to keep looking at them.

Tiny hearts and a binky for the baby elephant.

That diaper pin just cracks me up. He looks like a dog we had once named Algebra.  





Teddy bears on his PJs!
 

I can't decide which I like best. I have two more to go and then I'll be ready to start putting these together. I don't have a pattern I'm just winging it so we'll see how it goes. This is what the sewing room looks like right now. Can you say DISASTER AREA!


 Linking up to February NewFO Challenge Linky Party at Cat Patches so take at look at what other creative people have started this month and join in.

Until next time, 

24 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia. I am catching up here. That saltine goody is fabulous! I have made it before, and everyone loved it!!!
    Congratulations on your new Gbaby!!! Oh they are heavenly, and grow way too fast! The blanket will be an heirloom to cherish forever!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to make something cute for baby June her mama is not a big fan of hand made items but I plow ahead anyway thinking baby might like to have them when she older.

      Delete
  2. The embroidery designs are fantastic. They stitched out really nice. Are the designs in your machine or did you download them from a site? It's going to be a beautiful quilt that will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The designs are purchased from Embroidery Library.com, Baby Animals in Pajamas and they stitch out without a problem which is a blessing even though they are quite dense. I'm hoping this quilt will turn out as cute as it is in my head. ;)

      Delete
  3. Those are really cute! Love the elephant one:)
    My sewing room looks like that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a mess when I sew, well all the time really. :0 Congratulations on the birth of your grandson, you're going to have so much fun on this adventure!

      Delete
  4. That is going to be a beautiful quilt. It was nice to meet you thru the GYB hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, so many interesting bloggers participated in that hop I'm still getting around to visiting all of them. Thanks for stopping by here on Dogwood Lane.

      Delete
  5. You have an amazing wonderful "disaster" area! lol The animals for the baby quilt are adorable. My favorite is the monkey, no the elephant, no .... well, I can't decide. These are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide either Donna. Each time I finish one I think that's my favorite until the next one is done! I only have a kitty left to do and then I can start putting this together. I love adding embroidery to my quilts and if you look at my quilts tab you can find quite a few of my previous embroidery quilt finishes. By the way, that disaster area is nothing compared to some other times I could have shown you!!!

      Delete
  6. Those are the most adorable blocks, I can see why they are so stitch intensive. What kind of stabilizer are your using?

    I read somewhere recently, that someone fused interfacing to her fabric in addition to using stabilizer because her piece had so many stitches. I may try that too...wonder if it would make the quilt too stiff though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using 2 layers of Floriani Med tearaway plus I spray starch the heck out of the fabric before I start. So far this has been working well with minimum pucker. There is a little pucker which I think is due to me pulling the fabric too tight after I hoop. Sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone. Maybe that light weight fusible interfacing which I've heard of people using when they machine applique would work?? We could try it, it's only fabric not rocket surgery as we say around here. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara and thanks for hosting February NewFO

      Delete
  8. HI!!!! I followed over from the FO!!!! So glad I did!!!!! Those are the sweetest little babies ever!!!!!! I enjoyed my visit!!!! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you here Carla do stop by again I'm sure I'll have plenty of other starts other new starts to show you! ;)

      Delete
  9. Very cute and so detailed! It's going to be a very fun baby quilt.

    I love your "sleep sewing" explanation. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kate, it's a good thing I'm a bit of an insomniac can you just imagine if I actually got as much sleep as the rest of the world? How much 'sleep sewing' would I get done then? ;0

      Delete
  10. Those are so precious -- I love them ALL!! That turtle with the bottle hanging from his mouth, he makes me grin :) I know the blanket will be so special to the family of the baby you give it to. What a gift!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son and DIL will at least pretend to think it's special! Seriously, it gives me so much pleasure to make something for my new grand baby and hope that she will love it and perhaps cherish it when she's older.

      Delete
  11. I love the embroidery baby quilt. Those are very dense designs and take a lot of time and thread. It looks like you stabilized them very well as I do not see any puckers or wrinkles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so just don't look too closely ;). I'm ready to layer and quilt this one now not my favorite part of the process but onward I say. Tanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane do come again.

      Delete
  12. Your patience is amazing! They are truly worth your time...they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie, I'm putting the last two borders on and then on to the quilting not my favorite part. Babies don't care right?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.