Monday, January 27, 2014

Valentine Table Runner

If you're visiting from the Grow Your Blog Party my intro post is here.

I gave you just a peek last week when I showed you the strip sets I was working on.



Well, I've made quite a bit of progress over the course of the last seven days turning those strips into these squares -



And those squares into these hearts -



Isn't that cute? I can think of so many uses for hearts like this. This time I'm turning hearts into a table runner using a pattern I read about on Barbara's blog  - Cat Patches. She worked on this last year and I bookmarked it thinking someday. As you can see my someday is here! This pattern appeared in the January/February 2013 issue of McCall's Quilting. If you like that pieced heart block, you can find the free instructions right here. I don't have the magazine but a friend did and she was able to come up with the complete pattern for me. 



If you click on the link and look at the pattern you'll see that I did something completely different for the center of my runner. I just did not like the fussiness of their center. Besides, because I strip pieced my 9-patch blocks I had left overs and wanted to use them. The math on this was simple. The heart blocks are 8" unfinished (7 1/2" finished) so my three center squares needed to be 8" unfinished whatever design I chose to make them. EZ.  This is now sewn together and ready for quilting. I have some ideas I'm working on for that which I'll share soon.

Now for a tool tip. There are quite a few 2" squares to cut for all those corners and for that I used my Shape Cut ruler. Do you have one of those lurking in a cupboard and don't know how to use it? Get that baby out! It can save you a ton of time and inaccurate cutting mistakes.



First I use it to cut my 2" strips X width of fabric. I leave the fabric as is and pick up the tool and turn it perpendicular to the cut strips. In this picture the selvedge is on the left and the fold is on the right. There are little tear drop slots to fit your rotary blade into at the 1" and 1/2" marks on this particular tool.





I'm going to cut at the 0 that will get rid of the selvedge and then I will cut at the 2", 4" 6" etc. until I reach the end of my strip.


 
Voila! All the 2" squares I need in one go. No muss and no fuss. I actually have two sizes of this ruler. When using it to cut say 2 1/2" squares I use masking tape at 2 1/2", 5", 7 1/2", 10" so I don't have to take time to count over each time and possibly loose my place. I'll show you that the next time I need to do it.

Linking up as always to Patchwork Times and all the wonderful Design Wall Monday inspiration.

Until next time,


24 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! The hearts look like they are interlocking. So cool!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 9-patch is so easy and so effective I just love it too.

      Delete
  2. What a neat table runner and perfect for Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, believe it or not I don't have a thing for Valentine's Day so I'm glad this is working out.

      Delete
  3. I much prefer your version with the framed 9-patch blocks running down the center. Makes me want to dig in my bin of red fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. Sometimes I think I'm just being contrary. Get out those reds Heart day is just around the corner.

      Delete
  4. I love what you did with the design - great insert, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it seems like I just can't leave a design alone. All my friends know this about me and just shake their heads.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You are so kind, it's the color I think - so luscious!

      Delete
  6. That is going to be spectacular when it's completed. Thanks for sharing your tips along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working out a new to me way of quilting it, I'll show you soon.

      Delete
  7. What a charismatic quilt. I absolutely love it! Thanks for including the free pattern link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. The link will at lest tell you how to make the block but unfortunately doesn't give you the whole pattern you have to have the magazine for that. I just made the rest up. Just remember that the blocks are 8" unfinished and go from there.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. This is actually much easier than it looks that's what makes it a nice project to try.

      Delete
  9. Wow ! That sure is a lot of piecing! You did a wonderful job and the runner is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, this was actually easy to piece that's why I like it.

      Delete
  10. I love your runner! I love how you did the center! Very nice! Thanks for posting on Sew Many Ways so I found you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, glad you like it. Sew many Ways is one of my favorite blogs the creativity there is amazing. Thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane.

      Delete
  11. wow..it is a lovely runner ..thank you so much for sharing the idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nima, You're so welcome. Thanks for coming over to Dogwood Lane.

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous valentine table runner, Beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayle, I'm quilting it now with my embroidery machine. We'll see how that turns out. I'm not entirely happy with the result but nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.