Friday, January 17, 2014

The Beast Awaits

There it is  - The Beast, the monster at the head of the stairs!  It crouches there waiting for me, blocking my path to my sewing machine and every fun thing I want to do. Too big to ignore, too heavy to move, a menace I tell you. The funny thing is I'm the one responsible for bringing this menace into the house in the first place!



The whole thing started out innocently enough. I gave this instrument of torture to my husband as a Christmas gift last year, that's Christmas 2012, and he was thrilled. You see, he has been a life long distance runner and now that he's retired it harder for him to get his daily run in. There are no sidewalks around Dogwood Lane. I have supported him for more than 30 years of five, ten and 20 K runs, triathlons and marathons and I knew he was going to miss those daily, sweaty workouts. Nice of me right? 

What I didn't realize at the time was that it was going to be harder than ever for me to procrastinate about my fitness routine. To call it a routine is a misnomer it's more a wish really. I wish I had a routine. While Chris has been fit as a fiddle all his life I've been his couch potato cheerleader. But here's the thing, we're not getting any younger and with age comes certain infirmities that will limit you if you don't take steps, lots of steps.

So, I've made up my mind to conquer the beast at the top of the stairs. I like to kayak in the spring and summer. I like to go for long walks, dare I say hikes in our beautiful forest. I like to work in my garden and I like to play with my baby grand kids. If I want to keep doing all those things I better start taking steps right now to prevent myself from being the poor old lady who gets blown over by a stiff breeze and breaks a hip. I'm tying up my Keds and climbing the stairs to tackle The Beast. Wish me luck!

Until next time, 


6 comments:

  1. LOL! I love your commentary on the "Beast"! I have a similar one in our bedroom that stares at me while I get dressed! The recumbent Bike! I like the console on your "Beast". I have found a way to hang-balance my iPad over the small console on my beast so I can watch a TV show or something. Nothing beats a good walk in the wood though! Beasts are so boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that a walk in the woods is far better but often the weather does not cooperate and I can't really get up a good head of steam while tramping outside because there are no paths and I have to watch my step. Also, I don't like to go alone in case I fall or run into a large critter, I'm thinking bear or mountain lion. There's dangers out there for a tasty morsel like me!

      Delete
  2. Have fun with the beast, I know exactly what you mean and I try and keep in shape also. I prefer walking outside and hiking....sure wish we lived closer and could hike together!! I have my beast set up in our bedroom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to take a hike with you Connie we'd have so much to talk about. As it is it's just too treacherous for me to go hiking around here alone. As I replied to Angie there are large predators around that I really don't want to run into. My husband and I have completely different styles so it's often not feasible;e for us to exercise together if you get what I mean.

      Delete
  3. Good luck Patrica! I need to do the same ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing pretty well, how long does it take to form a habit anyway? About a year right, ;)? So check back in about a year!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.