Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pantry Renovation/Part 3

With all the hustle and bustle of Christmas it occurs to me that I haven't shown you the finished pantry project. Yes, we really did finish the remodeling project we started the day before Thanksgiving in plenty of time to decorate the house for Christmas! It's an all time record in our household and will probably never be repeated. You can read about the entire project in these two posts, Part 1 & Part 2.

If you recall we started with this wet bar that was never used and was basically a catch-all, black hole in the kitchen. See my cook book collection? I donated 45 cookbooks to the library. I still kept my sentimental favorites which fill a good size shelf but I get most of my recipes from the internet these days don't you?



Thanksgiving day the project looked like this. A lot of hammering was going on and dust was flying while fixed dinner.


Two weeks later - TA DA!!


 We salvaged the base cabinet from the wet bar to reuse. It turned to be way too big for the new space space so out came the saws-all.



Chris added molding and end pieces and sanded it all down and thenit was my turn to stain and paint. River photo bomb!


It's amazing what some elbow grease can accomplish.


New handles and hinges and we moved it in place. Perfect fit and it matches the kitchen cabinets with no cost to us.


Just look at all the storage space I acquired just steps from my food prep area. I could not be happier.



This end of the kitchen is so much more attractive and functional now with extra electrical plugs and a space to charge cell phones, a message center and my best loved cook books.



A new kitchen floor is next. Any ideas on what that should be?


Until next time,

circa 2011 The ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop

You don't have to live on a farm to join this hop!
 Farmgirl is a Condition of the Heart~ MaryJaneButters 
Brag a little ( or a lot ) about your farmgirl talents! Include lots of photos of your farm, crafts, animals, quilts, home decor projects and thrifty make overs, your backyard garden, chicken coop, recipes, studio or workshop. You get the idea! Please include the Farmgirl Friday button ( or link back here ) in your post and remember to share this hop with all of your blogging friends! 
Finally, Enter up to three entries per hop! 


 DON'T BE SHY~  





From The Farm Blog Hop

24 comments:

  1. I love the pantry. You have so much more useable space now.

    My kitchen has a brick floor. It was here when we moved in, and I really love it. It is durable, and hides dirt well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would love the look of a brick floor but my husband is not sold :(

      Delete
  2. I love the pantry redo, it sure turned out very nice! Also, you have a well stocked pantry! We have laminate wood flooring in our kitchen. I love it there. I would probably not like it for flooring in the rest of the house, but for the kitchen it's great. Smooth, easy to clean, spills wipe up with a paper towel and some windex. Easiest to care for flooring I've ever had. I really like your cabinet outside the pantry too---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering laminate in the dinning room but I have the wood stove in the kitchen so must have something non-flammable in the kitchen. The previous owner put linoleum and it's full of small burn holes!!

      Delete
  3. Very nice! I think brick floors would look awesome in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brick would certainly go with the look of the rest of the house and I like the warmth of the brick color. Thanks for the input, it's so hard to decide.

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a great transformation!! Enjoy your new space!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi, I've been planning this forever.

      Delete
  5. Wow great job! I so wish I had a pantry like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean this has been a dream plan forever and a day. Then it hit me that the space I needed was staring me in the face!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your pantry. I love it. Such a better use of space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes re-imaging a space is so hard. That area has been sitting there for the past 16 years and then suddenly it hit me, that could be a pantry! DUH!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing photos of the finished pantry! This is more useful compared to the bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is more useful for us one drink a week people, lol. Not exactly party animals are we? I guess we like to eat more although if you look at the photo closely you will see I left plenty of room for my wine rack, lol.

      Delete
  8. This was a great project / attractive and useful and fun to read about. Now you mentioned quilting so I am off to read about that next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, hope you found some quilty posts you like. I almost always have something quilt related on Mondays and cooking on Fridays usually. Looking forward to seeing you on Dogwood Lane again.

      Delete
  9. Great job Patrica. I love the finished pantry! I get so inspired by organization...do you want to cook more now? I'm not good with recommendations on flooring but the everyone's brick suggestions sounds lovely. Would go with your walls very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there's a brick look in tile? I'll have to check that out. Don't you love all the inspiration on the internet? It gets a little overwhelming sometimes though.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really lovin' it too now that it's finished, So much storage might go to my head, lol.

      Delete
  11. If I had it to do over again I think I would get stained concrete flooring, it can be very beautiful. I'd do the counter tops that way too and a big copper trough sink. We can and also use cast iron to cook with so I want something that will hold up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some beautiful stained concrete but I wouldn't know where to begin to find someone to install something like that. We live in the middle of nowhere and it hard to find even basic workmen! Sounds like you and I are into all the same things and need the same durable stuff - I'm on the hunt. Of course there's the money angle to consider, sigh...

      Delete
  12. What a fabulous project! Everything looks so organized and tidy! We are about to replace our kitchen flooring with Vintage Oak Vinyl Plank Flooring... It's very durable, looks rustic and will hold up against water, pets, and traffic..Home Depot Sells it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that but...the woodstove sits in the kitchen and there are burn holes all around it from sparks and small accidents so something fire proof will have to go in there. Your kitchen will be beautiful I bet be sure to post pictures!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.