Monday, January 13, 2014

Expect Good Things



Don't you think that's a fabulous motto for the coming year? For any time really. Expect good things for yourself, expect and appreciate the good in the every day happenings that make up your life. I know when I was raising my children if I expected them to be good they usually were so shouldn't I expect the same of my life? I do! I expect good things and I look for them, how about you?

I embroidered this motto on a gift for a friend and now that she has received it I can show you the entire set. Since this place mat and tablerunner combo was made as a gift for my quilting friend Beverly I had to keep the whole thing under wraps until our group's annual Christmas party.


I shared how I made the placemats  here and the braid tablerunner here but I wasn't able to show the finish until now. I think they turned out really pretty and will be just the thing to bring a touch of spring into her new home.


Here's the little mug mat. As you can see I tried a new edge finish on this project. I just hate the tedious process of binding a tiny little thing like this so I used the jeans stitch on my sewing machine a little over 1/4" from the edge and ragged this. The jeans stitch is a triple machine stitch and I use it when making a rag quilt so it seems plenty sturdy. This mat may not last forever but it should go through the wash more than a few times and nothing lasts forever, right?

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times. 

Remember this year's motto  - 

Until next time,





14 comments:

  1. Pretty runner and place mats! The mug rug is adorable, I like the way you finished the edges. I hadn't thought about using the jeans stitch for rag quilts but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take much more time to use that stitch and I defy you to pull it apart! Remember our motto - expect good things!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely set! Those place mats and runner will brighten up Barbara's table right nicely! Love your motto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna, we often get what we expect don't you think?

      Delete
  3. Good Afternoon Patrica, I am just catching up with what has been happening in your life. Your friend must have been thrilled to pieces to receive such a lovely gift of table runner and place mats. I love the motto, Expect Good Things, and especially as you have sewn it into a coffee mat..... each time your friend looks at the coffee mat, it will make her smile.
    I think there is nothing so nice as a gift made by a friend.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Daphne there is nothing nicer than a gift from the heart of a friend. I don't know if she loved it truly or not as she has moved away but I imagine her using it and it makes me smile. She's going through some difficult personal issues right now so I hope the motto will cheer her.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful runner and place mats and I think the mug rug will do fine in the wash with edges like that. Great saying!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie for the opportunity to share all our projects and for all the inspiration.

      Delete
  5. How neat. The colors are wonderful with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, something cheerful in the midst of winter don't you think?

      Delete
  6. Wonderful motto for this year! I will have to be thinking of one for me. The mug rug is charming and the perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use this too Karen, let's all expect the BEST!

      Delete
  7. What A great Idea to give the mug rug a ragged edge. I never thought to do that. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.