Monday, January 20, 2014

Baby Rags Nearly Finished

The last time I showed this project to you I was merrily sewing cute motifs along my flannel strips. These pretty little sewing lines also act as the quilting for this baby blanky so don't think that they're just for show. This one that looks like a string of baby beads is one of my favorites.


 The next step is sewing the strips together back to back with about a 1/2" seam.


I have a few tips to make this go smoothly. My Janome 6600 has an even feed system and I'm so glad I bought this sewing machine because of this feature alone. But, if you're not lucky enough to have a feature like that please use your walking foot for this step. You're sewing through six, that's right six layers of flannel and a walking foot helps to keep all those layers moving together. Also, I use a jeans needle. A larger needle also helps to go through all those layers more easily. Slow down your machine, no peddle to the meddle here! Give the feed dogs a chance to grab and move the fabric along. As you can see in this photo I have apiece of masking tape on my machine bed to mark my seam allowance to keep it consistent, this helps me a lot as I'm not always the most accurate sewer. I know you're all surprised by that admission  - ahem.


Finally, sewing the outside edge. I'm not going to use a binding on my quilt. You can certainly use a binding for a more finished look and if you do you would trim it and bind it like any other quilt. But I'm going to rag the edge so to do that I sew around the four sides again with a 1/2 inch seam opening each of those intersections as I come to them. I use a triple jeans stitch here. It's a stitch setting on your sewing machine used for reinforcing and believe me it's not going to come out.


 On my design floor one baby rag quilt all ready to trim up. The final size for mine is 56"X39". Is a little longer than a standard baby quilt but a nice size to sit in a chair with a baby because it will cover both mom and baby and it's a nice size for a floor quilt. It can be any size you like depending on how many strips you use. Now I'll spend my next few evenings snipping it to turn it into a rag quilt and I'll run it in the wash to fluff it up.


Here's a tease for what I'm working on next. Valentines Day is just around the corner. I'm turning these luscious red strips into...


these super cute nine patch blocks. Valentines Day is a VERY special day on Dogwood Lane and I do not have one single thing that celebrates this important holiday. That's about to change in at least a small way. Stay tuned.

Today is Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times. Be sure to see what other amazingly talented people are working on by hopping over there.

Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. Love the baby quilt Patrica, can't wait to see it finished. Your Valentine blocks are too sweet. I really like the red fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get this baby quilt finished cuz I need to get started on another one! I feel like I have my sewing mojo back, yippee! The valentine project turned out cute I'll post pictures soon.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful projects Patrica and your baby quilt is adorable! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, I'm moving along on these baby things with two little people due soon!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.