Monday, January 6, 2014

A Quilty Weekend

What a great weekend I had finally making it back into the sewing room after almost three weeks absence. You know how I was itching for needle and thread after that long and I was able to spend four hours on Saturday and four on Sunday just playing around with fabric - HEAVEN.

First up was the first quilt start of 2014  - a baby quilt of course. Look at this pile of yummy flannel.



I love working with flannel, so soft and cuddly. This quilt will be for a very special baby. I know all babies are special but this is a much longed for little one and I want to welcome him with a cozy blanky. My God Daughter Katie is expecting her first baby in April and as I cut I could just imagine them rocking together wrapped in my flannel hugs.



This is a super easy rag quilt and I have a tutorial posted right here. It a great way to use all those wonderful fancy stitches on your sewing machine and those stitches show up really well with variegated thread in pretty colors to match your fabric.



Next I decided to jump in and join the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2014 hosted by SoScrappy. I was on the fence about this because I just couldn't think of a block pattern that inspired me until a YouTube Video popped up in my email from Missouri Star Quilt Company for a really cute, quick and easy quilt called the Disappearing Pinwheel. I don't know how to link to the video :(  but if you do a search on You Tube I'm sure you can find it. Anyway, once I saw that I was hooked and ready to roll.


Soscrppy

There will be a different color chosen each month for 12 months and if I do two 12" blocks a month in the chosen color at the end of the year I should have at least a throw sized scrappy quilt plus I will have used up some of my scraps.  The color for January is BLUE and these are my two blocks for this month -




Those pinwheels are wonky but I'm not too worried about them. It's a little tricky figuring out the exact cut for these. I'll get better at this block as I go along and if they're too obvious in the finished quilt I'll re-do them.


So there you have it my first sewing for 2014. How are you coming along so far in this new year? This will be my first Design Wall Monday link up for 2014. Be sure to go to Patchwork Times to see how other quilters are starting off the new year.

Join the Farm Girl Friday Blog Hop! You can leave up to three posts about your crafty, quilty, farm girl at heart adventures.

circa 2011 The ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop 


Until next time,

14 comments:

  1. I decided to do this block too! Did you use the Disappearing PinWheel pattern from Missour Star? I have made SUCH a huge mess in my sewing room working on Celtic Solstice, I will have no problem finding fabric for the RSC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Celtic Soltice will certainly be a beauty when it's finished but all those pieces! Oh my goodness! I did use the video tut from Missouri Star but the final cut into thirds gave me a problem because it's funky math. The RSC should be no problem for any SERIOUS quilter, lol.

      Delete
  2. I found this posted last week, too! Wonderful! What size blocks did you start with to get to 12" finished? (I'm so bad at math, but think it must have started as two 13-1/2" squares? Another person posted her version on line. She switched out the inside tiny pinwheels from other blocks of other colors. Looks really neat, too. Ideal for working with on a design board, but I don't have that space available in this house - yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So according to the video from MSQC you start out with two 10" squares to make your pinwheel, then you cut it. I mis spoke it was almost 13" before I cut the pinwheel apart and the finished block ended up as 11 1/2. I don't even know how that's possible when we started with two 10" squares. I just followed the video and that's what I got.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, does this make you a God Grandmother? One lucky baby boy to get such a nice quilt. I'll check out your tutorial because I love the look of rag quilts but haven't made one yet. I bought a pattern for a Christmas tree years ago but have never gathered enough scraps to make it.

    Your off to a great start in 2014...we've just returned from vacation and I'm not fully into anything yet.

    Happy New Year Patrica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly makes me something special. I was in the room the day this girl was born and watched her take her first breath so HER baby means a lot to me. Rag quilts are not my favorite to make because of all the clipping but they are soft and sweet for baby.

      Delete
  4. Hi there. I tried to leave a comment when I was on my ipad, but couldn't. I am back. Love the flannel baby blankie. I love to work with flannel too.
    I will go take a peek at the link.
    Happy New Year.
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how IPads work at all but glad you're back. Tech is great when it's not giving us fits! Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  5. This will be a beautiful flannel quilt! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrica, I too started making some disappearing pinwheel blocks using the MSQC's video. Since I started with a different sized block than they did, it too was difficult to get the exact 1/3 cuts and make them work, until the light in my brain came on---I made the usual 1/3rd cuts, then I made all the outside pieces the exact dimension as the middle pinwheel by cutting them down to match it, and everything went together smoothly after that! Hopefully I explained it clearly, but it made the rest of the blocks so much easier after that. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry you're brilliant! Those funky numbers were giving me a headache but your solution makes so much sense. Thanks so much for sharing this will make the next batch of blocks go together so much easier.

      Delete
  7. What a fun block for the RSC! So glad you got some good advice about te math. Hopefully your next two blocks will go together without the math headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in hope, lol. I shall persevere!! Looking forward to the next color challenge and using up scraps.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.