Monday, December 9, 2013

The Kindness Of Quilters

Most all of the quilters I've met are the nicest people and I've met quite a few quilters let me tell you. This is a tale about just one. See this beautiful quilt? It's a donation to the Georgetown Christmas Food & Gift Drive from a quilter who doesn't live here and doesn't know anyone who does. 


Here's the story: Remember when I was on our fabulously fun  quilt retreat at Lake Tahoe in September? The Folsom Quilt Guild always has their retreat at the same time as we do in a different building and being the gadfly that I am I do a fair amount of snooping visiting to see what other quilters are working on and of course I also do a fair amount of chatting, making new friends don't ya know. Whenever quilters get together we always talk about what we're working on and who the quilts are for and I mentioned that I was working on donation quilts for our food pantry and gift drive for Christmas. Our quilt group always tries to donate at least one handmade quilt per person this time of year. I mentioned this quite a lot I guess.


That was September. Skip to last week when I received a phone call from a lovely woman named Sherrie who said, "Remember me?" "We spoke at Zephyr Cove and I made some quilts for you." I was stunned! I confess I barely remembered the conversation and didn't remember Sherrie at all. Never the less we arranged to meet 'off the hill' as we say and Sherrie turned over to me the lovingly made, beautiful quilts that you see. 


I so appreciate that these are not baby quilts but meant for older children. Two of them will find a home with boys, quilts for boys or young men are always hard to come by. Isn't it wonderful how Sherrie has used panels to her advantage and made such different and stunning designs for each? A master quilter at work here. I simply cannot thank her enough. Sherrie you thoughtfulness is so appreciated.

Mention a need and some quilter somewhere will attempt to fill it. That's why I say - Quilters are the nicest people!!

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times, skip over and see what else is going on this week in quilt land.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes and chill bumps! Quilters... BLOGGING quilters are the best.

    I love this Patrica...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am overwhelmed by such generosity. I just wanted to give Sherrie a shout out and all kind quilters too.
      Hugs,

      Delete
  2. Wow, Sherrie is a generous soul! I do love how she expanded those panels! Some happy youngster will love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is such a need everywhere we turn and I'm so grateful to Sherrie for these.

      Delete
  3. What precious quilts and she did a wonderful job with panels!! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful aren't they? Thanks once again for hosting.Merry Christmas Connie

      Delete
  4. You are so right and what a wonderful example of that! Thanks for linking the archive post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to revisit older posts and remember past kindness. Thank for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I agree....smiles!! Another wonderful deed rejuvenated! LOVE THAT!!!

      Delete
  5. Are you looking to make money from your visitors by popup advertisments?
    In case you do, have you ever used PopAds?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.