Friday, December 6, 2013

Pantry Renovation

Being the slightly unhinged folks that we are we decided to undertake a kitchen renovation in the midst of the holiday season. I know, I know. Nuts on so many levels. Told you we are slightly unhinged.

I've been looking at this space in my kitchen for 16 years and hating it! A wet bar in a house of non drinkers. Don't get me wrong, I like a glass of wine with dinner and people who know me know that I like my Irish whiskey -  neat. But, as a rule we don't drink much and certainly never enough to warrant an entire area of the house given over to the preparation and serving of spirits. Besides it's like a black hole sucking up light and collecting clutter and dust and finally it had to go. I packed up my cookbooks after sorting and donating at least half of them to the library and...

demolition began. I love this part! SO MUCH FUN bashing and crashing. My husband insists that we take our time when all I want to do is have at it with a sledge hammer.






It only took about two hours to get rid of the counters and sink and clean the whole thing out. Ready for the next phase.

What might that be you ask? A pantry. A useful, in the kitchen pantry with space for all the things you need every day to prepare meals. How great is that?


The view from the sink end of the kitchen.

Thanksgiving Day we reached this stage. Now comes the part where we have to measure and cut wood and do electrical and plumbing stuff so our son Zack stepped in to help. We wanted to install a pocket door and he's done that before at his house. Previous experience is a big plus.


As we quilters know "measure twice, cut once!" He's got quite a technique don't ya think?


Phew, it fits! It must have been that measuring trick that did it.


It's coming along. Can you imagine it now? I'll show you how far we've gotten on this project next time. In the mean time I have to go scrounge the property for some old wood to patch the barn wood which you can plainly see is missing. There must be some dirty, half rotten wood around here somewhere...

Until next time,

11 comments:

  1. I am jealous. I would love a pantry big enough to actually hold things... the little cabinet I have doesn't begin to do what I need it to do. Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned Jacqueline there's more to come, I'm so excited about this project.

      Delete
  2. I have a small walk in pantry Patrica. You are going to LOVE yours! I really like your pocket door idea. I thought of you today as I went to Trader Joe's and got two containers of Sippen Chocolate and had some this afternoon in your honor! It is so cold here as I'm sure it is up there too---and it was so good to have some hot chocolate. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm going to love this just steps from my stove and counter, the pantry space I do have is down the hall from the kitchen. Sounds like you had a cozy afternoon and I'm there in spirit. You're right it's snowy and cold here.

      Delete
  3. Having a place to put things will change your life! When we redid our small galley kitchen I added an anachronistic item--a broom closet! Having a spot for hanging items and storing the dish drainer and dog food pleased me no end ). I would have wanted to go gung-ho with the sledge hammer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the little things that please us so much. I don't need diamonds - truly, just a place to put my catchup!

      Delete
  4. Oh, exciting!!! I cannot wait to see the progress on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming right up Heidi. Believe it or not we're finished! All but the cosmetic stuff. Quickest renovation in our household EVER!

      Delete
  5. I'd trade a wet bar for a pantry ANY day Patrica. Great job and good luck finding the wood you are looking for! Bravo Zack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for agreeing with me Jeanna. We must have raised that boy right, even though he's an IT professor he has mad skills!

      Delete
  6. Converting your kitchen library into a pantry definitely contributed to functions of the place. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed the work, even the rigorous phase of demolition, re-plumbing, and installation of the pantry. So, how did it turn out? I'd love to see the result of your hard work, Patrica! :)

    Gordon Patton @ Bison Plumbing and Heating Ltd.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.