Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pantry Renovation - part 2

Continuing on from Friday's post, I don't want to leave you hanging. Once the electrical work was done the walls went up on this construction in no time. 


Honestly, the hardest part about this was picking out the materials. A short word about our house - it's made of wood. You may have noted this in previous photos and when I say made of wood I mean inside and out, up and down. The home was built about 30 years ago by a guy who owned the lumber yard in town and he loved his lumber! There's redwood and cedar, pine and oak; all grades and scales and finishes. This makes it hard to reproduce a finish or fill in a wall 30 years later, much harder than you might think. The ceiling is pine, the wall is old barn wood, the beams are stained redwood, the doors are pecan and the kitchen cabinets are golden oak. All the finishes are aged and mellowed so anything new just glares out at you but I have to learn to live with it until it mellows too.

Anyway on to the big reveal...


The molding and hardware are not in place in this photo and the stain has not been applied. truthfully it might be month s before the stain goes on. If I try to stain that wall now we'll die of asphyxiation from the fumes and no ventilation! 


Look at the shelves!


Gaze at the roominess! I'm so excited to fill this thing up. Just ask my kids, I can fill a pantry quicker than you say jackrabbit.  I hope you're as happy with your holiday projects as I am with mine.

I'll show you soon what we're going to do with the counter we took out of the bar area. I'm nothing if not a re-purposing fool.

Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. Looks Great! And it wasn't too painful as it sure happened quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the quickest project we've ever done. I have no idea why, maybe because Chris is retired and can work on it every day and Zack was home from work too so could help every day. Just cosmetic stuff to do now.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I miss a couple of posts, and look what you are doing here! How fun! I could never live through a reno in my house! I bout went plum crazy when we reroofed, and did new windows and other things a few years ago. But, oh how I would love a nice, new kitchen!!!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Kris. I hate workmen in the house, that's probably why we'd just rather do it ourselves. That and the money thing of course. It's great to have a grown up son to help out. Now for a new kitchen floor for which I'll have to hire someone, ugh!

      Delete
  3. Definitely a better use of the space! Enjoy your new pantry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi, I'm so glad to see that bar go!

      Delete
  4. What a neat room and much better than the bar!! Have fun filling it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already started Connie. Trying to get organized before the Christmas rush.

      Delete
  5. Lovin' all that space! It's looking fabulous...congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanna, now on to Christmas decorating!

      Delete
  6. You're gonna love it! It looks great. I don't know what I would do w/out our pantry shelves.
    Just found you.
    Smiles,
    JoeyLea

    ReplyDelete
  7. The project is complete and I am loving the added space. Thanks for stopping by please come again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.