Monday, November 25, 2013

River City Quilt Show - Part 1

I have a treat for you this Design Wall Monday - a trip to the River City Quilt Show put on by the River City Quilter's Guild. Last weekend was cold and rainy here on Dogwood Lane. The rain was a welcome sight but still it meant that we were indoors with time on our hands and my darling husband suggested that we go to the quilt show. That's right, HE suggested the quilt show. That's why I keep him around, that and a million other reasons. Mind you Sacramento, the River City, is well over an hour and change drive away but what else did we have to do on a rainy Sunday? He dropped me off and then he scooted to REI to check out camping and hiking gear and read in the warm car while gazed at quilts. It was a win/win.

River City Quitl Show

Isn't this the cutest house quilt? Love the unusual background choice. I took a lot of pictures of beautiful quilts and I could have taken a lot more. This show was truly outstanding and diverse. I'm a lousy reporter when it comes to quilt shows because I can never keep track of who made what and so I can't give credit where credit is due. Let me just say up front that I admire the workmanship and creativity of each and every quilt in this show and wish they were all mine. 

River City Quitl Show

We've all seen this braid quilt done by now but I thought this color combination was unusual and striking. The border fabric ties it all together, I wonder which came first?


River City Quitl Show

Be still my heart! Just look at this gorgeous applique quilt  that bursts with life. There are so many shades of red and they all sing together.


River City Quitl Show

A close-up of the applique work but especially notice the sashing. Awesome!


River City Quitl Show

Another, more traditional applique quilt. I don't applique myself but I certainly appreciate the artistry that goes into such a piece and love the detail in this Christmas quilt. This was needle turn and tiny pieces.


River City Quitl Show

Look at this close-up of tiny details, how precise.


River City Quitl Show

A gingerbread house that's good enough to eat! You can see why this lady has won a lot of ribbons for her work.



Look, I got a close-up of the label! Good for me and good grief, her first hand applique piece!


River City Quitl Show

Something more my speed - beautiful piecing and scrappy fabrics. Love this one's simple setting and soothing colors.


River City Quitl Show

Have you ever seen a cuter basket quilt? The stripe handles just knock me out. When you look at it the basket shapes are very simple but those handles make it look very sophisticated and elevate it from primitive to modern. I want this one in my house.

That's all for today. I'll have part two of the quilt show next time including a log cabin quilt from the show's featured quilter that will knock your sock's off.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some amazing quilts Patrica! How extremely nice of your husband to suggest attending the show.

    I really liked the Christmas Baltimore quilt and the handles on the baskets!

    Thanks for taking and sharing all of those photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The handles on the baskets sold that quilt for me too. I have more pictures to show you tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving hope your week is all you need.

      Delete
  2. Loved seeing those quilt photos...you did a great job of reporting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing what quilters around the country are up to and hope you do too. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving I hope it's all you wish for.

      Delete
  3. What a great guy! That was really sweet of him to take you to the quilt show. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a great guy and I'm lucky to have him. Tune in next week for the rest of the show.

      Delete
  4. Hey, your hubby is a definite keeper. Love, love the red applique quilt. Red is a favorite color. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After 45 years he's stuck with me so he makes the best of it ;) That red quilt was so beautiful the pictures don't do it justice. Glad you enjoyed seeing it with me.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing. Just like being at the show without having to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always interested in shows in other parts of the country I guess I'm an armchair traveler at heart. Much less stressful that way ;)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.