Monday, November 18, 2013

Braid Table Runner

On the design wall this fine Monday is a braid table runner to match the place mats from a couple of weeks ago. I'm using the scraps from that project plus some yardage and it's turning out so pretty.



 Cutting:
Strips are cut 2 1/2" X 7 1/2".  If you want to make one like this which is approximately 30" finished you'll need at least 21 pieces this size.  You'll also need about 1/4 yard WOF for a border cut at 2 1/2". Once you have your strips cut it's super easy to sew them together and fast.



I arranged mine in three piles to the left of my machine and picked from each pile in turn. In order to keep things scrappy and not get the colors next to each other because these are all from the same fabric collection, I used a marker on my piles. As I pull from a pile I move my marker so I don't get confused or as confused.



See my little Angry Bird eraser? He took quite a trip around the sewing table. My grandson left him here the last time he visited and now he helps me sew, I'm not sure how he feels about it though. Probably not best pleased.



You can make this as long as you want by adding more and more strips. I stopped here because I ran out of fabric. I forgot to take a picture of squaring this off, drat! Basically you line up your ruler 1/4" inside the notch from the outside edge and trim. This is about 28" and ready for a 2 1/2" border strip. Be very careful not to pull or press too vigorously as this is all on the bias. I'm using my even feed foot to sew on the border strips and that works great. You may want to try your walking foot if you don't have an even feed feature on your machine. Just go slow and let the machine do the work, just like driving in 4 wheel drive!



Here we go with the border and this is the backing fabric I've chosen. I love this cheerful fabric line so much. It's Honey Honey by Kate Spain for Moda and because it's from the summer season it's on sale all over the web right now if you want to pick some up. 

I'm putting this table runner together with the placemats from the same fabric line I made last month as Christmas gift for my Needle Nellie exchange so I can't show you the whole finished set just yet.  Once they've been gifted I'll post the pictures.

That's my Design Wall Monday what's yours? Check out everyone else here. www.patchworktimes.com

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Love the braided table runner and that backing fabric is soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope the recipient feels the same Jeanna.

      Delete
    2. You saved me ! I had to come up with a quick gift. This will be perfect. THANKS

      Delete
    3. Great Michelle! This really is quick and easy and pretty what more could we want?

      Delete
  2. Looks great!! I hope to try sewing something like this with my scraps someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save those scraps. I love the way these braids look when done up all scrappy. Happy First Thanksgiving with your darling baby girl.

      Delete
  3. Braids make perfect table runners. I think I will make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jump right in Myra they turn out so pretty for so little effort, what could be better?

      Delete
  4. Looks beautiful Patrica and I have 2 braid table runners I need to finish up. They are always fun to make and your tutorial is great! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always thanks for your encouragement Connie. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.