Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Apples & Issues

You may remember that Chris and I went to Apple Hill and bought apples last month and you may have been wondering what if anything I did with all those apples. Apples do keep a long time in cold storage but they're all gone because I turned them into delicious, delectable things. One of those delicious things is Apple Crisp. If you print out this recipe or bookmark this page or commit this to memory this is the last apple crisp recipe you ever need to have in your collection. Hands down. The best. Trust me on this one.


This is a double recipe. You don't have to make one this big - I was going to a party.
First you have to peel some apples. There are lots of ways to peel apples and you no doubt have tried most of them.


How are your knife skills? Mine leave something to be desired. I feel like I leave a lot of apple behind when I peel this way and besides I'm a sucker for a good kitchen gadget. So...



I broke out the handy, dandy all in one apple peeler corer! Besides it makes the prettiest apple peel ribbons and the cutest apple stacks. Why be in the kitchen if we can't have some fun?



After you're done playing peeling you need to end up with 10 cups of chopped apples and you're good to go.



Mix those up with some sugar and cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of flour, dump it all into a pan and top with your crumble topping.



Bake for 45 minute to an hour and prepare to be amazed. Easy and delicious.



 So delicious in fact, that  I didn't get a picture of the finished product. Everyone ate it too fast and I didn't have a video camera to catch the action shot! Crunchy on top, silky and sweet beneath. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and prepare to swoon.

Apple Crisp

Ingredients

10 cups apples, peeled,
cored and sliced
1 cup sugar or to taste ( I don't like things too sweet so I use less sugar)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup water ( don't forget the water the water it makes the crisp just a little juicy and silky)
Topping

1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
2. Place the sliced apples in a buttered 9x13 inch pan. Mix the sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over all.
3. In a separate bowl combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until golden brown and the apples are bubbly.
adapted from several recipes from AllRecipes.com

And now for the issues. For the last 8 months or so I have had some pretty annoying bordering on serious issues with my eyesight. I've been visiting doctors trying to figure out what the problem is and seeking relief from discomfort, blurred vision and swelling of the eyes and eyelids. All of these things has made reading, sewing and of course blogging a chore rather than a delight and of course I've been more than a little worried about my sight. The good news, well it turns out that it's all good news is that my eyes are basically healthy and I have a really common condition called chronic dry eye. Sounds fairly simple doesn't it? It's been masquerading as allergy and all sorts of other things for months and I'm relieved to have a diagnoses that we can treat and no real harm done. But - there's always a but - I must spend shorter stretches of time doing the things I love like reading and sewing or my eyes literally swell shut. It goes without saying that means shorter amounts of time on the computer. Now you know why I may not be posting as often as I might like. All is well, it's just about adapting.
 Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, the perks of getting older I guess :) Glad you stopped by Dogwood Lane please come again.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it for Thanksgiving, along with Pumpkin pie of course---We have buckets of apples in the concrete brick storage building outside. They keep pretty well now that it's cold at night. So sorry to hear of your eye problems. I hope they gave you some good eye drops. I have dry eyes too, and found it helps to drink more water (which we should anyway)---and sit back and close your eyes several times a day for 10-15 mins. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That storage area sounds awesome, I could use a space like that. Thanks for the eye care tips. I'm slowly adapting to my dry eye issue but what a cramp in my style! Oh well, it's always something I guess and at least it's not going to be something I can't manage so I'll be fine. My eye Dr. suggested taking flax seed oil suppliments twice a day as a way to improve the quality of eye moisture. Have you tried that?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the receipe. Sorry to hear about your eye issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing so much better following Dr orders so I'm glad I finally went. Why do we wait so long to seek help? Try this apple crisp out it's so tasty. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Your apple crisp sounds wonderful and I will certainly add it to my 'gotta try this one' list ;)

    I'm so sorry to hear you have been having issues with your eyes but very happy that you KNOW what the issue is and it can be treated. You are correct, it's all about adapting...and that's what we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I have an issue I won't wait 8 months to seek treatment! What a dunce! I have no idea why I do that, I always think things will take care of themselves if I just wait long enough, duh. Anyway try the apple crisp I think you'll like it.

      Delete
  5. Oh mercy me....I think I can smell it from here!!!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris you are so right - cinnamony goodness filling the house! Yummy! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.