Friday, November 1, 2013

A Day in the Countryside

Chris and I decided to take a day off from household chores and drive up to Apple Hill. It's only about an hour drive from Dogwood Lane and the weather wasn't going to stay nice much longer so off we went. Through beautiful countryside, past vineyards decked out in their autumn colors.



The air was crisp and fresh. We could smell the cider before we got to the mill. Each orchard has it's own special charm. On the weekend this region is a madhouse with traffic jams backed up literally for miles but we're here on a Monday so nary a soul in sight!


This place has the best pie in my humble opinion. I stand by my taste test 'cuz I've tested a lot of pie. Maybe one more piece just to be sure... yes I was right, THE BEST!


Not just apples are grown here but all kinds of fruits and produce. Gorgeous.


This guy came home with us. Does he not look like someone we know?



Silent Bob
One more taste test before we hit the road for home. Maybe this place has the best blueberry dumplings.


Yes, THE BEST!


Of course we bought apples, lots and lots of apples. I'll show you what I did with them later.

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. What beautiful scenery! Love to visit the apple orchards! That Roo is cute! And he does look like Silent Bob. Does Bob not crow? Also those blueberry dumplings...oh my!!!! Such a nice day! Thanks for taking us along!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kris, Bob certainly does crow! His name is just our little joke, that rooster never shuts up!! We ate our way from one end of Apple Hill to the other and I don't feel one bit guilty. Now on to the preserving part of this exercise. A woman's work is never done.

      Delete
  2. Lovely. Thanks for the countryside ride. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane.

      Delete
  3. OMG Pat, which ranch had the blueberry dumplings?? I gotta get me one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julianne, the dumplings were at Boa Vista hurry before they're all gone!

      Delete
  4. Good Morning Patrica, Now this sounds like my perfect day out..... lovely scenery and lovely food. I loved the look of the Apple Pie, but I was blown over by the Blueberry Dumplings.... they look fabulous.
    Silent Bob..... that sounds an interesting name. I have just read a previous comment, so I now know why you have name him Silent Bob.
    Enjoy preserving your apples.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect day Daphne. We're storing up these kind of days knowing winter can not be far behind.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.