Monday, October 14, 2013

DWM/Spooky Fun

I have managed to get in a little sewing with a Halloween theme and finished up just in time to get these cuties off to my youngsters down south before the witching hour.


These pillow cases with a Star Wars theme will be perfect for candy collection on Halloween night especially since Liam, Owen, Claire and Paige are all dressing up as their favorite characters. May the force be with them. Later they can use them on their beds. I had to throw in some fairies just cuz they're so cute and my girls are too.


I started work on this little wall hanging while on retreat last month. I had two of these Halloween panels and two charm packs of Halloween fabrics I'd been hoarding for a year or more so it was time to do something with them before the kids get too big to appreciate them. The pattern is one I purchased from my local quilt store, Shared Stitches just before they went out of business and I guess it was a pattern put together by them because it has no publisher or credits on it so I can't give you any details. 


The idea is to create a frame around the panel by using the Lil' Twister tool. It took some finagling because as you know these panels are never quite printed straight but I did manage to get the twisted frame to fit eventually and I think it turned out so darned cute.


I found the perfect backing fabric for it too at 30% off! Lucky day. How's that for spooky?


And the perfect thread for quilting it was already in my stash. A variegated polyester called, wait for it - Halloween Delite! Gorgeous.


I put the binding on by machine, back to front and used one of my sewing machines fancy stitches to sew it down. I think it adds just the right touch, a little like tiny spiders maybe.


 This one is ready and one more to go. After all I have two families of little ones to please don't you know.

Until next time,

30 comments:

  1. The pillowcases and Halloween wall hanging are so cute! I like how you used your Twister template to make the border. I have the Twister, and have never used it. You have inspired me to get it out. Could you please tell me who makes the Halloween thread? You know I'm a thread junkie! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try that Twister Angie you'll be hooked too! I get most of my thread form ABC Embroidery Designs & Thread http://www.abc-machine-embroidery-designs.com/ my machine seems to like the thread and the prices are good I think. Check it out and let me know what you think. The Halloween thread is from their variegated collection.

      Delete
  2. Love your projects. SEW cute. I need to get busy and get back to my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in due time I'm sure. Sometimes we're just too busy with other things and our true love (sewing) has to take a back seat for a while.

      Delete
  3. I am totally smitten with your owl Halloween wall hanging!! The twister border is fabulous! And the decorative stitch on the binding is perfect. What fun!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I certainly had fun on this project I can tell you and the kids loved them all too.

      Delete
  4. The pillow cases are a great idea, everything is so cute. I made my youngest grandson a wall hanging that he picked out when I saw him out in CA a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to make something for the littles that you know they'll like? It just makes you smile the whole time you're stitching!

      Delete
  5. Those are some great projects! The pillowcases are great idea considering the kid's costumes. I love the wall hanging. I've never see a twister tool but love the blocks you made with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pillow cases will go perfectly with their costumes I love it when a plan comes together. You have got to try out that Twister tool you'll be hooked, lol.

      Delete
  6. What a cute idea! The details amaze me, right down to the variegated quilting thread. Your grandchildren will love the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gifted them last week when we visited and they did love all the goodies especially the pillowcases. 2 yr old Claire wouldn't let go of the fairies - so cute to see.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea for collecting candy! I love making pillowcases :) Your wall hanging is very cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Evelyn is going to need something to hold her candy haul this year but you'll have to carry it for her. What fun - what is she going to be for Halloween?

      Delete
  8. I love your Halloween wall Hanging. Beautiful colours and that border is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ruth and thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane.

      Delete
  9. Cute Haloween quilt! I have a Halloween quilt made from a panel on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panels sometimes make thing so much easier don't they? If only they were printed straighter *sigh*. They are really good inspiration for color and design.

      Delete
  10. great pillowcases and quilts. they will LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I gifted them last weekend and they did love them which made me super happy.

      Delete
  11. Just found you through Sew Many Ways and I love your darling owl quilt!!! too cute!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it Tanya. Thanks for coming by Dogwood Lane Rambles and I hope to see you here again soon. Isn't Sew Many Ways the best? I love Karen and all her posts and projects.

      Delete
  12. Love your Halloween quilts! I have one waiting to be quilted myself. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't this a hoot? I know bad joke but I couldn't resist thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. Love BOTH of these! Never would have thought to use charms as a border like you did in the first quilt and I forgot all about my mini twister!!! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That border wasn't the easiest thing to figure out but it sure paid off so I'm glad I stuck with it. I love these twister projects don't ask me why they jusyt make me happy!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for rejuvinating this one at Tuesday ARchives! I'm sure it will inspire others to use the "twist" as a border too!!

      Delete
  14. I love the twister border on the Halloween quilt! It really gives your quilt much more impact than using just those squares like in the first photo. I will need to try the twister as a border too! Thank for the inspiration and linking to Val's. Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the twister blocks as a border. That turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.