Monday, October 28, 2013

DWM/A Halloween Finish

Just in time too. Well, this little table decoration has been finished for a while but I was saving the reveal for Halloween week.


It came out cute and adds a nice touch of spooky to my minimal decorations. I last showed it to you in this post when I did the original embroidery. I decided to add this little motif to round the whole design out. Isn't that so cute?


Since this is going on my table top display I also needed to add hanging loops at the top.


I decided to use the pillowcases method to finish it so I sandwiched the whole thing -  backing right side up, design facing down, batting on top. 


Sew 1/4 inch all the way around leaving an opening to turn it right side out and slip stitch the opening closed. This is where the even feed feature of my Janome 6600 comes in so handy . It handles the layers of this quilt sandwich so easily with no slippage.

 
Trim and turn.


And now for the part I don't want to show you. When all is said and done this little project came out less than stellar.


After edge finishing with a decorative stitch and quilting (which I took out) it ended up wonky as you can plainly see. I blocked it and fussed with it and then I decided to live with it. Upon further analysis I believe that the stabilizer that I used on the larger embroidery is the problem. Usually I use a tear away stabilizer but for some reason I used a cut away on this one and I could not cut it all away from this intricate design. You can see in this picture that it is doing all the pulling around the bats and tree branches no matter how much I try to make it do otherwise. Lesson learned!  Everything I do does not come out perfectly but I do learn something with every project and I'm sharing with all of you so maybe you'll learn something too.

Don't forget to check out Design Wall Monday at Judy's place.

Until next time, 



8 comments:

  1. GREAT piece Patrica. I have quite a bit of difficulty choosing the right stabilizer. I really need to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Jeanna, in this instance I really didn't give it much thought and the outcome shows it. I'll be more careful next time. I prefer tear away whenever possible and I starch like crazy.

      Delete
  2. I might not have noticed a little wonkiness until you mentioned it ! I don't think it takes anything away from the charm of the embroidery. Glad you finished fussing and let it hang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the quilty support Annie.

      Delete
  3. I think it looks wonderful Patrica and I probably wouldn't have noticed it either until you said something. Thanks for sharing with us that the stabilizer might be the culprit. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn something with every project and the thing I usually learn is to slow down and think before jumping in, lol.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, in the end it looks like a cute little table decoration and that's what I was going for, I'll try not to let nasty perfectionism get in the way.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.