Monday, October 21, 2013

DWM / Easy Placemats

If you remember, last month I went on my annual quilt retreat to Zephyr Cove at gorgeous Lake Tahoe. 


You can read about it in this post. If you've ever been on a quilt retreat or even out for a day with your quilting friends who know that it MUST involve some fabric shopping and my friends and I did our part to keep the economy going in that department believe me. I save my egg money for just this purpose and so I feel no guilt (or hardly any) when I go fabric shopping. Here's what I brought home.


Some fat quarters and yardage to make placemats and a matching table runner. I cut the selvedge off before I looked to see who the designer is of this gorgeous stuff, sorry. I picked up this pattern at the same time. 

Take Four by Cary Flanagan I have absolutely no affiliation with this pattern or designer I'm just passing along to you the info about what I'm doing.
The pattern was easy to follow and uses four fat quarters to make four placemats. Yardage is needed for the backing.


In absolutely no time I had the four placemat tops done and decided to bring the backing fabric to the front, mitering the corners for a clean finish rather than applying a binding. This is where I stalled out as I made things harder on myself than I needed to. It would have been way easier just to square them up and apply a binding by machine and I may still do that. Here's as far as I've gotten on the first one.


The miter came out fine after a lot of fussing. I need to unpin it, insert some batting, give it all a good press and stitch it down. I love the clean colors and crisp detail of these and hoped to echo that in the finish. What do you think? Is this finish worth the extra work?

Check out Judy's Design Wall Monday to see what other quilters are up to this week.

Until next time,

20 comments:

  1. I do really like the finish, but whether or not it's worth the extra time is up to you. The pattern and fabric is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to forgo the fussy finish and bind these instead. Onward...

      Delete
  2. Nice!! I have never made placemats. Tahoe is a beautiful place. What a fantastic photo!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really proud of that photo, just a lucky shot with my new camera!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fabrics and great placemats - regardless of which finishing technique you decide on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, I've decided to bind these instead and get on with it. I love the fabrics too.

      Delete
  4. I have recently decided to make Christmas placemats for the family dinner this year. I'll have to look for this pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is super easy I think you could make them in no time, especially if you use a regular binding, :) They would be so cute in Christmas colors.

      Delete
  5. Pretty fabrics! I found the back to front finish to be way more trouble than applying binding. The edge finish is much more pleasing to me with the binding. Same as you, the fussy mitering took forever at the corners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm going to bind them instead I just don't have time to fuss around. It was interesting to experiment tho.

      Delete
  6. Love the fabrics Patrica! Cute patterns for placemats too! I've only ever applied binding so I don't know much about the other method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to bind them and get it done - experiment over and out ;)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photo of the sunset at Tahoe. Your placemat fabrics are so pretty! I've never tried the back to front binding, but it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy with that picture, just a lucky shot with my nothing fancy camera!

      Delete
  8. Good Morning Patrica, Welcome back from your fabulous trip around California. Do you know, I did not realise that California was such a big state..... there is nothing like learning from the younger generation.
    I love buying fabrics, for quilting or sewing and I get very excited when I see something I love, and I love the fabric with the big blue flowers and also the tiny print which is green, pink and blue and green. I have never used the back to front method for binding a quilt, so I cannot comment about how easy it is and maybe I will not try it, if it is so fiddly. I have made placemats and what I did was, I sewed the back and front together, leaving a small opening, turned it inside out, stitched up the opening and created an edge by machining about half an inch all the way around. I have to tell you Patrica, that the placemats you have made, look lovely as does the binding..... you would never guess that it was such a fiddly project to do as it does look perfect.
    Have a lovely week.
    Best Wishes as always,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used that method to finish placemats before and like it a lot but this time I wanted that little finished edge. I think I'm going to go with a traditional binding after all. I am enjoying working with these fabrics so much the colors are so fresh and inviting.

      Delete
  9. Oh, now I am in trouble.......... Two quilts on the design wall and I am going upstairs instead to find material for placemats. They are stunning and I want some too...............
    Thanks for sharing..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is how the internet gets us all into trouble :) Happy fabric hunting, if you're anything like me you won't have to buy a thing you have everything you need right upstairs!

      Delete
  10. This pattern is being offered at a local QS workshop, and I did a search for it and found your photos. LOVE the fabrics you chose. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super easy pattern to make and i decided to go with a traditional binding technique mostly because I discovered I didn't have enough fabric to do a mitered treatment. You can view the complete set including a tablerunner in this post http://dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com/2014/01/expect-good-things.html so jump on over and take a look. Have fun at your class.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.