Wednesday, October 23, 2013

All Grown Up


Those tiny chicks that were so cute a few short months ago are full fledged hens now and to prove it they've started earning their keep. Well, they're taking a stab at it anyway. Look at what I found in the nest box the other day.



Can you see how tiny and perfectly round this little egg is? I haven't had the heart to crack it it's just too cute! 

It might have been Cinnamon who is the precocious girl. She is so very sweet and pretty.



Or maybe one of her white, speckled sisters. Marshmallow, Sugar or Nutmeg.



It could even have been Snow or Sprinkle. 



Mean black hen is molting and DOES NOT want her picture taken! Whichever one of these girls is practicing right now it does mean that they all will soon be in full production and that makes me and and all my egg customers very happy.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your name for the young gals! And tell them "Congrats!" from me for starting their womanly work ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell I had food on the brain when I was thinking up names lol. I'll tell them Heidi sends them her regards. :)

      Delete
  2. I love all the names for your chickens---Does "mean" chicken have a name too? or is that it. I love your little egg photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mean Black Hen is her name and her description! She rules the yard and bosses all the other girls around. None of the other hens will challenge her at all.

      Delete
  3. All beautiful young ladies. What a great find! Wish I was close enough to be a customer. I miss having fresh eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I manage to have enough eggs for my quilt group and my family which earns enough money to pay for half their monthly feed, it's a win/win.

      Delete
  4. It is so exciting with the little ones start to earn their keep!! I have 7 chicks that are now beginning to lay. I loved their tiny first eggs!!! Like you, I hated to crack them open!! I have my adult hens starting their Fall molt, so I am not getting the usual amount of eggs. But I do love my girls and their delicious gifts!
    Love your hens names!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older hens are all in molt here as well so production is down but I don't mind. I don't use lights on them, I figure they deserve some time off and production will pick up again soon enough. Really they're more pets for me and I sell my eggs ridiculously cheap $2.50/doz just so friends will feel OK about taking them.

      Delete
  5. always fun to have little eggs when they start laying. and fun to guess who until you catch them in the act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy my chickens they are so much fun to watch, very relaxing to be around and of course the eggs are delicious!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.