Monday, September 9, 2013

DWM/Machine Embroidery Edition

Before we get started on our sewing portion of the day you may want to cover your ears because I might mutter a curse word or two! I've been without an internet connection for the best part of  the last week (again) and I'm about to blow my top! I won't bore you with the details but we'll communicate while we can shall we?


 My friend Jeannie came over this week and we had a really fun sewing day trying out some new embroidery designs together. It isn't often that I get to embroider with someone else so this was a real treat. We both decided to sew out the same design and what really suprised us was what a difference a change in background fabric and few different thread choices can make to the look and feel of the overall design.


Here you see Jeannie's sew out on a white tone on tone fabric. She decided on black as her final outline color for a very dramatic tree. Also her moon is done in softer color gradients. Jeannie has  Janome 10000 machine using a 5x7 hoop. Her sew out is much cleaner looking than mine I think when you look really close up.


Here you see my sew out on a Batik background. I used a darkest brown for my tree outline and more contrast in my moon. Please ignore that stray yellow thread bottom left, of course I didn't see it at the time I took the picture. I embroider on a Janome 350E. We both used two layers of medium weight tear away stabilizer.

Jeannie is using her's for a table runner, once it's finished I'll try to get a picture for you and I'm making a small wall hanging. That's it for Design Wall Monday. I'm off to Tahoe for our annual retreat. I'll take lots of picture and fill you in when I get back. Have a great week and may the internet be ever in your favor.

Until next time,

P.S. Don't forget to visit Patchwork Times to see all the other design wall creations.

9 comments:

  1. I love your embroidery on the batik background. Fits the scene perfectly! What kind of thread do you like to use? And do you use pre-wound bobbins? I'd love to see more of your embroidery work and learn what works for you.

    In the meantime, enjoy your trip to Tahoe...can't wait to see the pics, I know they will be inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comments Jeanna. I use a variety of threads, whichever seems to fit the design both rayon and polyester my machine doesn't seem to be picky. I do use pre-wound bobbins that I get form ABC Embroidery designs.com http://www.abc-machine-embroidery-designs.com/, I get a lot of my thread from them too.

      Delete
  2. I would love a embroidery machine. They both look great. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my embroidery machine! It was my retirement gift to me and was the least expensive way to go to get what I wanted at the time 2012. It gets the job done for the amount of embroidery I'm prepared to do. It's a Janome 350E embroidery only machine I got on sale for about $1,500.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic design! So nice to play with friends:). I like both but the background on yours is spookier! Have a great time on your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did have fun and I agree mine is spookier!

      Delete
  4. The article is very productive. And help to make better the thoughts. Bass Embroidery Designs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Design is so nice, please who is the designer ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.
    Grow Your Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.