Friday, August 9, 2013

Water!

Water is one of the most important considerations for your country living dream if not THE most important. If you don't have a good water source kiss your dream good bye! Municipal water mostly does not exist in a rural setting and we're lucky that we don't have to pay for irrigation water which runs through a ditch from a lake from up-country because of our good well.



We have a good well that produces 20 gallons per minute which in this neck of the woods is considered a gusher except when it doesn't. When it doesn't I have to call the well guy and the well guy is not cheap. Were you picturing a cute little well with a bucket on a rope? Nope, this is what a working country well looks like. A pipe coming out of the ground with a bunch of wires sticking out and control thingys. Last year the well stop working and we had to pull the pump which is about 100 feet under ground and cost a bunch of money so when it stopped working this time I was understandably nervous. My biggest concern? Has the well run dry? That my friends is big money. Digging a new well is an expensive proposition and even finding a new location for a new well can cost a lot.



This is Dennis the well guy. Of course the well went out when Chris was out of town on his hiking trip and I did everything I knew how to do to re-start the blessed thing. Check the fuses, check the breakers, check the holding tank, attempt to re-start the pump, no well no shower, call Dennis! I'm always mad at myself when I can't fix a problem without calling in guy help. I like to be as self sufficient as possible when Chris is away - I am woman etc. As it turned out this was not a problem either of us could have managed. It needed a new starter motor so replacing fuses would not have worked. $$.



See that? That's life giving WATER. Thanks well guy.






Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. When my husband was in the Air Force, ever time he left something went wrong. I learned to fix leaks,put in new toilets, and faucets. I think the powers that be just wait for our husbands to leave before they attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are soooooooooooo right it never fails! Something always goes haywire when the fixer is away. I grew up in a single parent household, just me and my mom so I'm so stranger to DIY and it makes me mad when I can't figure something out for myself and have to call in the $$$ guy.

      Delete
  2. Water can't be replaced or manufactured but must be found! Glad the problem was immediately solvable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things I took for granted when I lived in the city - like running water - from a tap - whenever I wanted!

      Delete
  3. Just the thought of digging a new well makes me shudder. It's soooo much money, and such a gamble whether there will even be water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year when the pump went out and we had to pull it we were actually grateful that was all it was!! Thank goodness the well is still good. Isn't it amazing how your perspective on things like water can change?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.