Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ready to Fly

Well, almost ready. Remember those adorable chicks that Mrs. Gold hatched on June 1st?  She has decided that she's had enough of this motherhood stuff and left them to their own devises.  She was so fiercely protective that none of the other girls could come within a mile of her babies until one day she said to herself - I'm done! Just walked away - just like that.


Where did mom go?
They're about half the size of the rest of the ladies and mingle freely with the flock but are still sleeping in their own little baby pen. Mom is roosting with the big girls and laying eggs again. I guess her hormones shifted over and told her enough is enough. She still hangs out with them during the day but doesn't try to protect them from the wrath of mean black boss chicken. That hen must not be crossed! The babies are figuring out flock dynamic and getting along just fine.



Here's all six of them together. Five white and one red, it should be easy to tell them apart from the rest of the flock once they're grown. It looks like all hens too, yippee! Another couple of weeks and they'll be tall enough to reach the feeders in the main house and then I'll move them in for good.



 

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Sweet little chickies! I wish I could have a Roo and babies!!
    xo KRis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could too they're so relaxing to watch but I can't lie they're a lot of work sometimes too. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  2. Me too. We live in the country and have an HOA that doesn't allow poultry?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie that just makes no sense to me, people are just nuts sometimes. The local planned community has a push going on to allow chickens maybe you all can get something started? I understand about the rooster thing cuz they are noisy.

      Delete
  3. these chicks are cute. it is funny how nature is. Mama knows when to leave them to their own devices to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so fun watching this all take place and educational too.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it strange how the moms just decide all of a sudden they are done with being a mom? I had a broody hatch out chicks this spring and it was so interesting to watch the process. Your chicks are really cute!

    Visiting from the "From the Farm" blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda like that feeling we get when we're fed up with our teenagers??LOL She won't even give them the time of day now unlike me with my kids - I decided I liked them again once they got over the awkward teen years!

      Delete
  5. Sweet chicks, glad they are all hens. My daughter ended up with 4 roosters one year and did not want any. Had to find homes for them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I'm about 99% sure they're all hens we're really lucky this time. The odds are not in our favor usually. No practice crowing so far...

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.