Friday, August 23, 2013

Pucker Up!

My friend Diana gifted me with a grocery bag full of beautiful lemons the other day. How lucky am I? But, I just don't have the time or energy to turn them into anything delicious right now so what to do? Freeze them of course.


When I told Diana that was what I had in mind she said she didn't realize you could do that and so maybe my readers don't know that either? All you have to do is wash the lemons well. You can leave them whole but I like to cut them according to how I think I'll use them. Some I slice because I'll use them in drinks or I need just a squeeze in a recipe and some I cut in half because I'll need the juice of a whole or half lemon in a recipe. Then I lay them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The parchment paper prevents things from sticking. Put the whole thing in the freezer. Once the lemons are frozen solid in an hour or two remove them from the sheet and pop them into zip lock bags for freezer storage. Now you have fresh lemon juice whenever you need it. The texture of the lemons won't be perfect once they thaw so you still need fresh fruit for a nice garnish.




Yum, I see lemon bars in our future when all this canning is a distant memory! Thanks Diana.




Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tip. I never knew you could freeze lemons but will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just try with one or two and see what you think that way you won't loose much of you don't like the result.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you could freeze them... So they don't look the best when thawed but the juice is fine for baking/cooking and the wedges will work/look ok in drinks. hmmm thanks for the tip. I end up using 1/2 a lemon and pitch the rest, now I will freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have the same problem and it really bugs me to waste that other half. Same thing when I need to grate the lemon for zest but not juice. I hate it when the lemon dries out. No problem just freeze it! Who cares what it looks like if all I need is juice?

      Delete
  3. I do this with lemons and limes. I even cut some in smaller pieces that fit into an ice cube tray, cover with water and freeze. They are perfect for popping into a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Linda I'll have to try that too.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.