Friday, August 16, 2013

High Summer


For some summer calls to mind hot days spent soaking up the sun on the beach or dozing on the porch but for us summer means preparing for the winter that's sure to follow. Of course we do some of that soaking up the sun stuff and dozing definitely figures into  the plan but summer days mostly include a lot of working outdoors and in.



If you thought that this was strictly a quilting blog you're probably disappointed. Here you see just some of the reason why not much quilting has been going on. Turning this years fruit and vegetable bounty into yummy goodness we can enjoy throughout the coming year. Peach vanilla jam, plum jam, plum vanilla jam, plum peachy jam, dried peaches and plums, dried tomatoes and peppers, preserved plums, canned green beans and  bourbon plums. Each day I wake up with an indoor agenda - things I must do today before the produce goes bad. The freezer is now well stocked with peaches and plums and green beans and peppers and tomatoes. The squash has not done well this year at all only giving us enough to eat on any given day but not enough to process. Watering, weeding, picking and processing take time away from my stitching, I really do look forward to the slower pace of winter. Around about March you'll hear me whining about the boredom of winter and wishing for summer - we humans are fickle that way.



 This espaliered plum tree is waiting in the wings! I've been testing these out and I have to say this year's harvest is not too promising, the taste is mealy and dry so far. Plum BBQ sauce is calling my name if I can salvage these. Any other suggestions? How is your summer going, any preserving happening at your homestead?

circa 2011 The ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop





Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Patricia, Your preserves look mouthwatering! I'm not doing any canning this year. I've gardened sparingly, just enough for day to day. The fruit trees suffered through a late frost and didn't produce much this year, and I'm gardening sparingly. I've got way too much quilting to do to spend much time in the veggie garden, but I did grow a few really big cucumbers! Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year in maybe five that we have had fruit because we usually get a late frost so I'm a happy girl and I'm reaping the harvest from my new vegetable garden. Probably won't be quite so enthusiastic next year. lol

      Delete
  2. My garden had such a high yield this year, that I certainly could have done some canning. Next year I plan to for sure!
    Looks like you are pretty well stocked!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pantry and freezer are loaded up now and I hope to use it all so as not to waste any or else what's the point? I Have been overly enthusiastic in the past so I'm trying to keep it down this year.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to winter about this time every year. There is so much canning to be done. It's been so hot here that it makes it miserable to be in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Michelle it is so hot in the kitchen so I either have to do this in the early morning (not a fan, I'm not a morning person) or wait until after dinner when I'm tired from my days work. I too look forward to winter right about now!

      Delete
  4. Your jars are beautiful! Just moving to our ranch, we have no garden or orchard this year. I am so envious of those with a bounty.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, where is your new place? How exciting to be starting a new garden and orchard - all the possibilities. Just think how great it all will be in a few years time!

      Delete
  5. Great bounty Patricia. I do not have a garden and rely on the farmer's market for my organic fruits and veges. Congratulations on such a wonderful harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no farmer's market near us I guess because everyone raises their own. The main reason I like to do this is so that I know exactly what I'm eating and how it was grown. Luckily my son lives virtually next door on the next property and he is a certified organic gardener - how great!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.