Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wouldn't You Know It!

Yes, that is a picture of my very dirty garden feet. I'm showing you my feet to illustrate a point. Otherwise I would never offend your sensibilities with such a show.


 So, yesterday I was out in the garden enjoying the morning air before it got too hot, watering and deadheading the flowers, saying good morning to the hens, throwing the ball for Shadow and River, clipping branches and stuffing them in the wheelbarrow. Just a nice, regular morning when it struck me - what's the date? I've been in San Diego visiting my kids and celebrating birthdays and have lost all track of time so I'm a little behind on some of my chores, like bookkeeping, like paying the bills, like paying the car registration which is due in TWO DAYS. Yikes! I have to get that thing mailed today.

I race into the house grab my car keys and slip out of my garden clogs and into my brand new purple flip flops. Maybe that will disguise the fact that my feet are filthy. Right. Never mind the outfit I have on - a holey tank top, baggy shorts which are three sizes too big held together by a huge safety pin (hey they were on sale years ago and have a million pockets great for gardening) and don't forget the hat, the squashed straw hat with the chewed brim from when River was a four month old. I kept the hat on
because the state of the hair do is appalling. The purple flip flops will be a complete distraction from all this should I run into anyone I know at the post office.

The dogs joyfully race after me as I open the car door and we're off for a ride down the mountain to the post office. You all know by now that I live in a VERY small town and the hub of any small town is the post office but I was praying that I wouldn't see anyone I knew. A quick in and out that's all. Who was I kidding? As soon as I stepped out of the Jeep clutching my DMV payment envelope I met the following in no particular order: two garden club ladies who wanted to chat about what a success the recent garden tour had been and how hot it was;  one of my quilt group friends who wanted to discuss the meeting tomorrow; one of my husbands Rotary buddies; a group of two complaining about the quality of the newspaper even though I haven't managed the paper now for two years and a man who admired my dogs and wanted to discuss training tips!

Next time I'll just register on line.

Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. I had to smile, isn't this always the way things happen. We must have the same deadline on DMV registration. I was sorting through the mail this morning and discovered I would be late too if I didn't get on the ball. I did register online. Whew, that was close! I have got to pay more attention to the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that sinking feeling and I HATE paying late fees. We have to get it together girl, LOL.

      Delete
  2. that is so funny, what ever made you think you could get away with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this delusion that I would somehow become invisible! Obviously, I was oh so wrong on that score, sigh.

      Delete
  3. Well...it seems that none of them noticed your flip flops OR your feet. So you lucked out. And besides...you forget that I used to live there too and remember that almost everyone in that town looks horrible no matter what time of the day it is. Have you ever seen any of those loggers in the market? Or some of those sketchy people walking in town hanging out around the bar at noon? It's a small town. Not Beverly Hills. I say...go for it! Wear whatever you want, when you want and forget what they might (or might not) say! We're retired!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some consolation in the fact that I really didn't stand out around here all that much - you do know what a lot of the characters in town look like on a daily basis. I was just hoping not to be back sliding too much and be mistaken for a log camp cook or a regular at the Miner's Club morning biscuits and gravy line!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.