Monday, July 29, 2013

Each Peach, Pear, Plum



 Thank goodness I have helpers. This weekend has been all about the fruit harvest here on Dogwood Lane. For the first time in about five years our stunted little trees have produced fruit, a lot of fruit! Each year the trees blossom and even set fruit and each year a late frost comes along and kills everything. But not this year, this year no late frost to ruin the tiny fruit or destroy the blossoms. This year we have peaches and plums a plenty and of course they all come ripe at the same time. 

Shadow providing quality control. We harvested two five gallon buckets of plums from one tree.
 That means I'll be spending all my time in the kitchen over the next several days turning peaches and plums into jams, and pie fillings, chutneys and BBQ sauce and anything else I can think of to preserve their goodness for the coming winter.


Guess what my friends and family will be receiving for Christmas?





Until next time,






3 comments:

  1. Oh your fruit looks delicious!! And just the mention of pie fillings makes me want to go make a pie... I did promise Grizz I'd make a lemon pie sometime this summer; guess I better get on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working away turning those peaches and plums into preserves for the winter months. We've already had two peach cobblers since Friday. Teenage boys eat A LOT!

      Delete
  2. OMG! I want some peaches Pat! I want to make Chutney....got any to spare?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.