Monday, July 15, 2013

DWM/Spirals Table Topper


I've been sewing on one project exclusively for sooooo long I needed a palate cleanser so to speak so I pulled out this project. I figured I could actually finish this in a day which wold give me some sense of accomplishment.

The pattern is by Ursula Riegel at Designs to Share and includes directions for placemats and two sizes of table toppers. I'm going for the largest table topper. Which calls for 5/8 yd of the feature fabric, 1/2 yd of the coordinate and 3/4 yd of backing.

Starting with a 10" square and cutting off the corners.

I have never done a project that called for partial seams but they turned out to be easy. You have to have a ruler with an easy to see 45 degree angle mark for this project in order to cut those corners as you go.

After the first round of sewing you have a placemat 14 1/2" x 14 1/2". Cute but I'm ready for round two.

After completing three rounds of sewing I ended up with a topper 24 1/2" x 24 1/2" ready for quilting. I'm using my amazing stitch-in-the-ditch walking foot. It's hard to see here but I have old gold metallic thread in the top and black thread in the bobbin. Always bring your bobbin thread to the top of the project before stitching to avoid those nasty rat nests on the back of your project. My machine will stitch in place to secure the thread but if yours does not take a few careful stitches before going all out to anchor your thread.

This is what I use to grab that bobbin thread - industrial tweezers purchased at a booth at a quilt show. You know the ones I mean with a million little gadgets.

Just look at that stitching! That foot was worth every penny I paid for it, I think about $25.


The finished runner on a table just to give you an idea of the size. The whole project including cutting and quilting took four hours. This is going into my gift box for the coming Christmas season and I think I'll make a few more with holiday themes they're so easy and quick.

Linking up to Patchwork Times for more design inspiration for you.

Until next time,

14 comments:

  1. It's great to see your table topper. Our guild had a class in June on how to make them and I discovered they are addicting. So far, I have completed 9 of them and have 2 more ready to sew. They are going to make wonderful gifts for family and friends. It was kind of you to share the technique for those reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Nancie, nine! I am thinking of doing another definitely. I'm also considering teaching my guild how to do them as they are so simple. I agree they will make wonderful gifts.

      Delete
  2. thats a very clever twist on a pineapple block very striking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I can see this done in so many different fabrics I'm already planning a few more.

      Delete
  3. Great job. I love your fabric choices and the quilting looks very neat. I have never made a table topper, but I am doing a class this Friday at a local quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your class goes well and that you enjoy it. Table toppers makes good hostess gifts and nice gifts to put together with other items.

      Delete
  4. How beautiful Pat and that foot for your sewing machine looks neat! I'll have to check on that and of course your tweezers are a must have item! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie That foot is a life saver as far as ditch quilting goes and I can't tell you how long it took me to break down and buy a pair of tweezers.

      Delete
  5. Your table runner caught my on on Design Wall Monday - it is great! I think I might need to get that pattern - superb idea for gifts - birthday or holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jennifer. The pattern really was easy and I think it would look great in almost any fabric combination, I'm going to try batiks next I think. Thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane do come again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enJOY patterns like this that mess with your eye. Makes you stop and think. thanks for sharing. Found you on "Sew Many Ways."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love Sew Many Ways I find so many interesting blogs and so many neat ideas there. Thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane hope you come on over again and I'll be sure to look you up too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.