Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Diet Be Damned

Hang onto your resolve because you're  going to need it when you see the pictures of what I just baked. Then throw caution to the wind and bake one of these scrumptious cakes for yourself. My friend Kathy O. posted this recipe on her FaceBook page just to be a temptation to the rest of us and I'm a fool for cake and cinnamon so what did she expect me to do?


I've been known to bake cinnamon rolls from scratch but those are typically breakfast food and we all know that I'm not at my best in the morning, so just imagine me throwing around dough and sugar and cinnamon before 10 a.m. Doesn't happen too often believe me - like once a decade! This cake might just fill in for those yummy doughy treats with a lot less work but all of the flavor.

Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
Cake:
3 c. flour
1/4 tsp.salt
1 c. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. butter, melted
 

Topping:
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
 

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients together; whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together and add to flour mixture all at once. Stir to combine, don't over mix. Slowly stir in the melted butter and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. For the topping, mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 for 28-32 minutes.
 

Glaze:
2 c. powdered sugar
5 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
While cake is still warm drizzle the glaze over the cake.




 I didn't even need to get out the mixer to whip this up. The cake was super simple to put together. Then I topped it with the buttery, cinnamon goodness. Lumps of heaven right there! Full disclosure photo - you can see what a mess I make when I cook, it's all about the food, right?


A knife gets swirled around all the cinnamon lumps of love to make sure they reach all through the cake. It looks pretty too, bonus!



While the cake is in the oven make the glaze. Here's a glaze tip for you free of charge. For a perfectly smooth glaze free of pesky bee-bee ball lumps, sift the powdered sugar. See those tiny things? They will never melt. They're coated with corn starch to prevent clumping in storage and you'll whisk all day and still have lumpy glaze unless you sift them out. You're welcome.


I had to show this again it's so good!
While I'm on the subject of cinnamon rolls whose bright idea was it to remove the wonderful food court option from the new Terminal B at Sacramento International Airport? Gone are the convenient food choices and bright, airy eating area. Most importantly gone are the Cinnabons! Some planner really dropped the ball on this one. In place of the above travelers now have their choice of high end, pricey eateries and greasy pizza slices. Blah! Oh, and booze - lots of booze. (My airport rant for the week. I've been traveling a lot recently.)  
Until next time,



 







 

17 comments:

  1. Why, oh why, did I read this before breakfast? I feel my resolve slipping! This looks great.

    Thanks for the sifter tip, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Sunday Brunch Kristi? That's what I'm thinking when I make this again.

      Delete
  2. That looks divine! I must file for later. I am making a blueberry coffee cake this morning.
    Don't you just hate it when you love something, and they close shop? Grrrr!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh blueberries, I love blueberries. I so looked forward to that airport food court the only good thing about traveling in my opinion. Now I just mope around the terminal reading trashy magazines instead of carbo loading. :)

      Delete
  3. I hadn't ever heard of that pwd sugar tip - thanks! - and of course I will be saving this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth the calories I promise.

      Delete
  4. Oh Patricia...That sounds delish! Thanks for sharing the recipe and your photos are fabulous. I'll give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be sorry, I'm thinking Sunday Brunch.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Who could NOT read a blog post named Diet be Damned- sounded way too yummy. I'll keep this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, this was so good that my grandkids asked me to make it again right away!Don't wait to try it.

      Delete
  6. OMG! This looks so yummy! This is one of those cakes that I tell myself that I'll have one slice and thats it and then later it will call to me and I will take little tiny pieces, you know, the ones that don't count ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have done exactly the same thing if my grandsons had not relieved me of the burden of temptation!

      Delete
  7. looks scrumptious, and easy giving this a try. Thank you for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be pleased Faith. Just don't blame me if you end up eating the whole thing yourself, I did warn you!

      Delete
  8. Diet be damned is right!!! YUMMO!!! I love cinn. rolls and these look to die for! Perfect post to rejuvinate for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try this Val it's soooo good!!

      Delete
  9. That looks so yummy! I am bookmarking this page and making it Sunday for breakfast before I head into work late morning! Thanks. Found you from Va's link.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.