Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dance With the Devil Kahlua Cake


We like cake! There I said it. Whenever there's a party or a gathering of any kind, people ask me to bring the dessert so I'm always on the lookout for new ideas for recipes for cakes, especially because they can feed a crowd. You may remember the recent graduation activity around here? Graduation certainly calls for a cake, a Dance With the Devil Kahlua Cake. That cake went so fast I was only able to get one picture! That's ONE picture of ONE piece!

Dance With the Devil Kahlua Cake
Makes a 9x13 cake 
Preheat oven to 350*

1 devils food chocolate cake mix
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (optional, not really if you want a super chocolate cake but some folks don't like it so chocolatey , who are those people?)
3/4 cup Kahlua 
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 lg eggs
Place ingredients in large bowl and mix on low for 1 minutes to incorporate ingredients. Scrape down bowl and mix mix on medium for two minutes longer until batter is well combined.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13 pan and bake at 350* 30 to 35 minutes or until cake springs bake when lightly pressed with your finger.Cool while you make the frosting. You know me by now, it's all about the frosting.

For the icing I used the Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Sheet Cake Icing from her yummy cookbook The Pioneer Woman Cooks

1 3/4 sticks butter
4 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
6 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb powder sugar, sifted
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and stir until smooth. Add milk and vanilla. Add powder sugar and stir together. Put in the chopped pecans and stir until combined. Pour the warm icing over the warm cake.
or
Chocolate Kahlua Frosting

2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
5 tbsp boiling water
3 tbsp Kahlua
8 tbsp butter, at room temperature (that's 1 stick of butter people don't be stingy)
4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Place the cocoa powder and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl and pour in the boiling water and Kahlua. Stir until the cocoa comes together without lumps. Add the butter and beat with a mixer on low until the mixture is well combined. Stop the machine and start adding the confectioner's sugar a little at a time or you'll get it all over the place and make a mess. Keep adding and mixing until the sugar is incorporated. Increase the speed and beat until the frosting is fluffy. 

Recipe adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns by Anne Byrn



Don't blame me for the calories - the devil made me do it!

Until next time,



6 comments:

  1. Oh-my, that looks soooo ---good. I may have to make this for our mini quilt group gathering. I'm sure the gals will love it! Copying off right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they like chocolate. Wait what am I saying? What quilt group doesn't like chocolate?

      Delete
  2. Just found my dessert for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that you had a blog Pat! You should have told me. This cake looks great! Happy 4th of July. I'm off to see Depp tonight...talk about yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, you and I have a lot to catch up on but we both a re so busy who can keep track? Going to see Jonny is a good way to stay cool, we watched fireworks from tha courthouse lawn but the heat was miserable.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.