Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Making Eggs Out of Roses


Whenever I'm deadheading my roses I always save the spent blossoms in a bucket for the hens. Here you see roses along with cuttings from the herbs around the garden - rosemary, lemon balm, lavender, mint, oregano, whatever weeds I've pulled out of the flower beds.



The girls come running whenever I show up with the white bucket. They know some tasty treat in store for them. Mrs. Gold's maternity ward/nursery is in the background. Don't worry I saved some rose petals for her.



Pink is the absolute favorite color followed by red and white. Yellow is a distant last place. They gobble the petals down whole. Those egg yolks tomorrow will be so bright!






Clever Chicks Blog Hop #39
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/06/clever-chicks-blog-hop-39-plus-nest-box.html


 Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Why haven't I thought of this? I need to deadhead my roses; my hens will be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your girls will love you for the roses I promise.

      Delete
  2. I think you are feeding them some mighty pretty Roses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did cut a few fresher ones to make a nicer picture and to please the girls. ;)

      Delete
  3. What girls doesn't like roses!?! I bet their meal smelled wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness the eggs don't smell different or that would be weird! The yolks do have a nice dark yellow color though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet your chickens are healthy, happy and smell lovely. :) Thanks for linking up with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth this is a treat they are crazy for it never fails to bring them running.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.