Wednesday, May 29, 2013

We Love Oatmel Cookies!


 Our family is obsessed with oatmeal cookies. But - not the soft, chewy kind. Oh no, we like the crunchy, toasty kind of oatmeal cookie. And get those nasty raisins out of our cookies! Personally I like raisins (not in my cookies) but my whole family detests the things. They all react to a raisin as if they have a bug in their food. 


 Here's our family favorite oatmeal cookie recipe (minus the raisins or anything else for that matter). If you just have to have stuff in your cookies go ahead and add it you won't hurt my feelings. These morsels are crisp and buttery and keep really well. The recipe makes a lot 'cuz we eat a lot, it's easy to cut in half. I usually bake off half the recipe plain and then add some butterscotch chips, my personal favorite. Use a cookies scope for uniform size and even baking.

Dad's Favorite Oatmeal Cookies
makes 10 dozen

2 cups shortening - butter flavor is best
2 cups granulated white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 lightly beaten egss
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose white flour
1 tbs cinnamon
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
6 cups oatmeal - use regular oatmeal not quick
optional - 2 cups chopped nuts or chocolate chips or butterscotch chips or horrors raisins
Directions
Cream shortening and sugars together. Blend in eggs and vanilla. In separate bowl sift flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Fold dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Add oats and any other optional ingredients and mix until blended. Use a cookie scoop or roll into 1 tbs size balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. I use parchment paper for easy clean up. IMPORTANT: Flatten slightly with a fork. These don't spread very much and if you don't flatten the center they may not cook evenly.
Bake at 350* for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. CRUNCH!

Can be made into refrigerator cookies by forming dough into a log. Wrap log in plastic wrap and chill thoroughly. Just before baking, slice cookies 1/4" thick, place on greased cookie sheet and bake as above.



Until next time

4 comments:

  1. Good Morning Patricia, I had to smile when I read about your families dislike of raisins. They are so popular here in England, we add them to biscuits , which you call cookies, we add them to cakes and desserts.... they are really popular.
    I have to say, when I make these biscuits I will be adding raisins, but I will be eating them with a smile on my face as I think of the look of horror on your children's faces.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family drives me crazy with their weird food aversions! I love raisins and a lot of other things that various family members just won't touch, sigh. It makes cooking around here a challenge I tell ya.

      Delete
  2. Yummy, looks so good. I like them just about any way! That really is a huge recipe, and we shouldn't even be eating the sweets, so I'll cut it in half. I like crispy ones too so glad to have your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have to make so many because we have teenage grandsons down the road to feed! I've been feeding so many men for so long I just don't realize how big some of my recipes are. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.