Wednesday, May 8, 2013

This is a Neat Trick


My friend Diana the embroidery queen showed me this great product and I just had to share it with all of you. For me the worst part of a hand embroidery project is transferring the design on to your cloth. Light boxes? I don't have one. Taping to a window. Awkward. here's the solution. Self adhesive, water soluble stabilizer that you can run through your printer/copier. Genius! These are the two options I found, Tranfer-Eze and Sticky Fabri-Solvy. They both work the same way and Dianna says they give the same results. She's used them both. She prefers the Tranfer-Eze but it's harder to find and slightly more expensive at least around here.



They come in roughly the same size  8 1/2 X 11 paper backed sheets that will run through your ink jet printer/copier one at a time. Determine which side your printer prints on and put a sheet in the tray face up or down depending on your printer/copier. Put your design in the copy tray and print. That's all there is to it. If you don't have a copier you'll have to take it to a copy store.

This was a long design so I used two pieces of stabilizer lined up after printing.
 Once the design is printed let dry for a few minutes and prepare your fabric. Preshrink your fabric for best results because your going to be using warm water later to dissolve the stabilizer and you don't want any nasty shrinky surprises. Iron fabric nice and smooth. Peel the paper backing off the stabilizer and smooth onto fabric. It's not so sticky that you can't reposition if you make a mistake so don't fret. It doesn't smear and after you rub it down it stays! You have a nice crisp design to follow that won't fade.



Start stitching! Once you're done rinse in warm water and the stabilizer is gone taking the marks with it. Once my project is finished I'll report back but Diana has used this many times and swears by it. Have any of you tried this? What do you think? Willing to give it a go?

Until next time,

24 comments:

  1. I love that product but can't use it now because I am using a laser printer right now......

    I have a large sheet that I got from Bird Brain Designs for a sampler set they sell and cannot find any office supply that will copy it......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend had the same problem, copy places are afraid to use it but it seems to work smoothly so what's the problem? Just not familiar I guess.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It really did work like a charm and it needles just fine.

      Delete
  3. Wow--the possibilities are endless, aren't they? I'm thinking you wouldn't even need a paper copy; you could use digital images, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, you could print directly from your screen.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing. I will be buying this for sure. I hated using a light box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hate that light box tracing too glad you like this idea.

      Delete
  5. I shared this on my face book. It to cool not to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Michell the more people who know and try it the better.

      Delete
  6. i have to try this next time. thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it saves you some time. More time for stitching is always a good thing, right?

      Delete
  7. Good Morning Patrica, What a marvellous idea. I have a lightbox which I use, but that is often a bit uncomfortable to use, but this water soluble stabilizer is fabulous. I shall have to see if I can buy it over here in England.
    Patrica, I have enjoyed reading your blog.....I am going to read some more posts in a moment when I have finishing writing to you. I have become a new follower.
    I would love to invite you to visit me at Ivy, Phyllis and Me! as you will be most welcome. I look forward to seeing you there.
    Oh yes, incase your wondering how I found you, it was from Karen at Sew Many Ways.
    Best Wishes to you,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the website where I originally found the Solvy http://www.birdbraindesigns.net/ They also have some really cute patterns. I also found it at Amazon and on Ebay. Not available at my local fabric store so far :( Thanks for following. I'm popping over to your blog in a moment the garden is keeping me hopping at the moment. Planting season waits for no woman!

      Delete
  8. Popped by from Sew Many Ways, glad I did. I will definitely be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how your project turns out if you do try it. Happy stitching! :)

      Delete
  9. working on a linen project right now from Country Bumpkin. Not sure if I should risk the rinsing process. Also, using various kinds of threads in this project. Oh, but this is such a great idea. My design is very intricate and I hate the window thing and don't have a light box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please read the comment below yours. As you can see I'm working on a large design for my first go. That's me all in all the time. But maybe I should have started out smaller? Anyway, when I'm done I'll report back about the rinse out. My firend has done MANY projects with no problem.

      Delete
  10. I have used the Sticky Fabric Solvy and loved it for all the reasons above BUT I ran into a problem after finishing my embroidered piece. After rinsing the stabilizer off the fabric and it was dry there was a shadow around the entire embroidery design. I did contact Bird Brain designs. The gal was terrific.....asked if I would send the piece to her (it was the tablerunner of snowpeople done in bluework) which I did and she sent it on to the manufacturer of Sticky Fabric Solvy. The conclusion was that the type of printer and ink left the shadow and there was nothing that could be done about it. BIrd Brain Designs replaced the fabric, pattern and floss so I could make another which was so sweet of them! This time I went back to tracing with my lightbox. Oh....my printer is an HP Photosmart 3100 series and I always use fresh ink cartridges made specifically for it. Has anyone else had this problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that's so disappointing! What do you reckon, would you use it again? This is the first I've heard of this happening but I'm so glad to hear that Bird Brain Designs tried to help. I've met them in person at quilt shows and they did seem very nice. So sorry all your hard work was ruined. Do you feel you can use it or is it a complete loss?

      Delete
  11. Just dropping by from Sew Darn Crafty Link Party. I've been wanting to try this but haven't been able to find it except on on-line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the Sulky here http://www.birdbraindesigns.net/; also at Amazon and on Ebay if that's any help. Happy stitching!

      Delete
  12. I'd love to try it, but am wondering if, like the lady from the UK, whether I can get it here in Ireland - specifically, Cork.If I have to get it online, which I don't mind doing, from whom would I get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the Sulky here http://www.birdbraindesigns.net/; also at Amazon and on Ebay if that's any help. Happy stitching!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.