Friday, May 10, 2013

A New Camera Might Mean Better Pictures

Or might not. It's all about the operator. This is my new camera. See that camera case? The camera doesn't even fit in it! What's up with that? My old camera is a Sony Cyber Shot and I've had it for at least 8 years. I love that little camera but I've dropped it so many times that the battery keeps falling out of the bottom and it just isn't reliable any more. Now I have this baby and a whole new learning curve. Believe me when I say this is not the most expensive nor the most complicated digital camera out there, far from it. It is complicated enough to make me a little intimidated tho so if my blog photos are less than stellar for a while you'll know why.

When I was a young college student I saved my money and bought a fabulous Canon film camera. I swanned around campus with that thing hanging from my neck taking artsy photos of sidewalk cracks and tree branches. I took a photography class and learned all about f stops and film speeds and went to late night foreign film showings to later critique the cinematography. Then I got a life. I wasn't in school any more and I couldn't afford film much less afford to have it developed. Now fast forward to 2013 and I love digital photography. I can take as many shots as I want, throw them all away if I don't like them, keep just the ones I want, manipulate them in a thousand ways all with very little cost. Magic!

My photos are not very artsy, but I like them and I have fun messing around with them and with the new camera.

Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. Good for you Pat. I enjoy using digital also, so much fun. I have a fuji film that was a step up from my old camera but is now not enough camera for me. Especially to take pics of birds. I was looking into getting a DSLR camera (which aren't cheap). I wanted a Canon T3i and was biding my time. My daughter passed a year ago and her husband just gave me her camera which is a Canon but the slot for the card has little pins in it that were broken. I called Canon and was very impressed with their service. Long story short instead of spending 200 to repair it, I can return it and upgrade to the Canon T21 for 268. It is 3 or 4 models newer and a better camera. So that is what I am going to do. I still have my daughters case, and all sorts of lenses including a telephoto lens which makes me real happy. Like you, this is a whole new ball game for me. Sooo much to learn. Good thing it has a lot of auto settings to use while I learn. Wow I got long winded. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good vibes Terry. I have been studying the manual and taking some test shots. I've always loved taking pictures but I don't have a lot of money to spend on a camera so hopefully this will do the trick.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi I'm trying to get the hang of this new toy. :)

      Delete
  3. How fun! I did the same things in college! LOL... I am starting to do some research about DSLRs, and REALLY REALLY want one, but it is very intimidating to start. I look forward to hearing how you like this one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said I really didn't have a lot of money to spend so this seemed like the best option for me. Price actually was the deciding factor. I've been reading the manual which comes on a CD lots of info to absorb. Little by little right?

      Delete
  4. Hi! Craft Swap Partner...:) I stopped by this morning, but the computer was running slow and I had to get ready for work. Colors. hmmmm....I tend to lean toward the soft muted ones when I look at my yarn bin...I like ivory/cream,and flower girly things, old fashioned in nature. How about you? I see you quilt and so you love colors, any preferences?

    Your camera is sweet, with me, it's an operator issue...LOL...the camera does everything but press the button, and that is where I have trouble. It's nice to meet you...keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Partner!! Nice to see ya. I'm all over the map in color preference it just depends on what mood I'm in so anything goes I guess.
      This new camera has me busy right now figuring out which button to push so operator error is a real possibility!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the acquisition of this latest toy...like you mentioned.,it really depend on the operator.
    Have an 'old' Samsung digital which is not even in the league of this but works pretty fine for my amateurish shots for now..


    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to step up my skill level but we shall see. Photo taking has taken a back seat to planting this week. The vegetable garden will not wait!

      Delete
  6. Love your title. I too have a new camera so it makes sense to me. But I am practicing and digital makes that easier than the old film days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Processing film got to be so expensive that we turned to slides which were cheaper. Now we have a huge box of slides which we never look at, too much trouble. :( Digital has changed all that and I'm so glad. I can see photos of my grand kids in real time from 500 miles away, amazing and precious!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.