Friday, April 5, 2013

Visiting the Tropics In My Kitchen

Deb of Smitten Kitchen fame has done it again! She's transported me to a completely different and dare I say better or at least warmer place just by posting one of her amazing recipes. She' tempted me to come along with her this time to a tropical isle.  People if you don't know about Smitten Kitchen you are not serious about your food. If you are serious about your food and have missed SK then please check out this delightful food blog. You will thank me after you wipe the drool off your chin.


© Urosr | <a href="http://www.dreamstime.com/">Dreamstime Stock Photos</a> & <a href="http://www.stockfreeimages.com/">Stock Free Images</a>

Let me just say right now that I'm one of those people that loves to read recipes. I love to imagine the flavors and how they'll taste together and how I might change and rearrange them substituting one ingredient for another. Cookbooks are wonderful reading and entertainment for me and so I love the way Deb writes about how she might change this next time or how this or that would probably go well with it. Like Deb I'm always changing a recipe to make it my own and rarely make it as written.

The post that got me going this time was a March 18 number which seemed simple enough: Coconut Bread. Sounds intriguing. I'm not a coconut nut but still... It sat in my in box for a week waiting for me to explore further. Finally I clicked over and dove in. Oh - My - Goodness. It looks amazing and easy and I have all the ingredients right here in the pantry, even an open carton of coconut milk. What am I waiting for? Nothing that's what. 


DELICIOUS! Toasted with some honey butter, oh gracious.

You can find the recipe here. Instead of milk I used coconut milk in a straight trade out. I only used 1 tsp. of cinnamon. Next time I'm trying some of the additions Deb talks about. Don't you just love  playing around with recipes or would you rather just stick with a what's written as long as it's good?

 http://deborahjeansdandelionhouse.blogspot.com/2013/04/farmgirl-friday-blop-hop-103.html
The Self Sufficient HomeAcre

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I do love Smitten Kitchen and it was the first food blog I ever started reading. I typically stick pretty close to the recipes unless I've made them a few times then I sometimes will make changes. But I always give the original recipe a go first.

    Visiting from Farmgirl Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the sensible thing to do of course. Why can't I be sensible? If I'm having guest I usually stick to the as written version at least for the first run.

      Delete
  2. Anytime I change a recipe it's usually because I didn't read well enough and am missing an ingredient. My husband on the other hand, always changes things up, never has a hard fast recipe. He's much more creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have trouble sticking to a recipe I always want to try just one little change just to see what will happen. I did that in chemistry class too!

      Delete
  3. That looks yummy! I'd love to have you stop by and share your post on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-creative-homeacre-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower anyone who revamps recipes is worth following, also following on Pintrest where I pinned this. Love foodie blogs so off to take a look at Smitten Kitchen.

    Please come share on Tuesdays With a Twist.

    http://yourlife7.blogspot.com/2013/04/tuesdays-with-twist-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Joyce. I'm sorry I missed your hop maybe I'll have something to share next week. Happy cooking this weekend.

      Delete
  6. You're making me hungry! Thanks for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre
    1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. Do make this it's so yummy.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.