Friday, April 12, 2013

Upcycled Garden Bench




I've had this ratty plastic bench in the garden forever. It's comfortable and just the right size and there's not a thing in the world wrong with it except it's UGLY! It used to be a pretty dark green that matched the hen house but now... not so much. I would never throw away a perfectly good something because of a little wear and tear so let's see what $8 worth of paint can do. 



First choose your color. There are a million and all of them are beautiful, choose the kind that works for your project. In this case painting on plastic. (I forgot to take a picture of the spray paint can but your not an idiot so you don't need it, right?) I like color in the garden so I chose a really pretty lavender for my new bench color. Clean the surface really well and let it dry. Now you're good to go, start spraying. Several light, even coats are better than one heavy coat. That way you'll avoid drips and runs. Ask me how I know this.



 Here's the bench after one coat of paint. as you can see it doesn't have complete coverage so after letting it dry for a day (I had other stuff to do) I gave it another coat. In all it took almost two full cans of paint to cover this project. Remember there's a back and sides, cover everything you can expect to see. You can also see that I didn't use a drop cloth because I was painting in the woods, I'm messy but I jus move the duff around and it's all disappears.


garden bench dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

Here's the bench in it's new place in the garden. A place to relax and enjoy the view or watch Silent Bob and his ladies.


garden bench w/hat dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

It looks wonderful out there. I can see it from my kitchen window and that pop of color looks fabulous in the twilight. 

Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest


Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. A bit of spray paint makes a big difference, doesn't it? Looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great colors soon my yard will look like a rainbow - somebody hold me back!

      Delete
  2. looks great Pat. It's nice to renew and reuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled they have paint these days that will stick to plastic, we have so many of those semi-ugly patio chairs that I can spruce up.

      Delete
  3. Ooh I'm going to try this with some very old and ugly hand-me-down furniture we got from the in-laws! Thanks for the inspiration (visiting from Sew Darn Crafty) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, if you already don't like the looks of the furniture you have nothing to lose!

      Delete
  4. Love your "new" bench... found you on Sew Many ways... thanks for sharing :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by. I love making old things look new again and saving a little money too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Love that lavender color, especially outside, it really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had an entire fence painted that color put we had to take it down because of dry rot :( I still want to replace it but the bench will have to do for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bench........ Now off to Lowes to buy paint and try my own project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goody! What are you making over and what color do tell?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.