Thursday, April 18, 2013

This is My California

I thought I'd give you a glimpse of my California. If you watch even a smattering of reality TV you've seen the 'Real Housewives'. In what universe those women are real I don't have a clue but anyway today I'm thinking about the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Orange County. If you tune in to those shows for five minutes you get a pretty warped idea about what life is like in California. Everyone swans around on 6 inch high heels with fake boobs and lots of make-up and diamonds. Nothing about those people is real. 

I'm a California girl born and bred and I love my state. There are lots of urban centers in California but there's also plenty of beautiful open land where a person can breathe. Get up off your duff and get out!



Last weekend we joined some friend less than an hour from our house for a wonderful, easy hike along the Yuba River. You'll break an ankle in high heels in this terrain!


covered bridge dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Beautiful covered bridge
Yuba River covered bridge dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com


Happy Henry
Yuba River dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Spectacular vistas
california path dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com


This is my California! Don't be fooled by those cheep and tawdry imitations. I'm a Real Housewife of Dogwood Lane and my diamond ring is in the dresser cuz I might loose it when I clean the hen house.


oak forest path dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com






Until next time,

17 comments:

  1. I like your California--so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So. Cal. is beautiful too and looked a lot like this when I was growing up only not so much water. I don't like to go there now because of all the traffic but that's where my kids live so that's where I go. I do love the beach so you can't beat that So Calif. sunshine.

      Delete
  2. AMEN SISTA! I absolutely agree with you! Not just because I live in the same county as you but because I was born and raised in southern california and that crap wasnt even the "norm" down there unless you were rich and snooty! Great post! I love Northern California..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have met a few of those phoney people in West LA but no one I have ever known for real is like that. Most Californians are just regular folks who are judged by what people see on TV. I went to a convention in Chicago once where the people were shocked by how normal I seemed when they heard I was from California.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I feel so lucky to live in such a gorgeous place. Mind you winter can be no fun :(

      Delete
  4. Very well put. Beautiful place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day and gorgeous place and time of year. Soon the whole area will turn California gold. The grasses will dry out and turn a wonderful shade of gold but the area will be very dry and hot. This is the perfect time to visit.

      Delete
  5. I love your California! It is a lot like mine. I was born in Northern California---and I'm creeping up on 70 years of living the California life style, and it's not anything like the TV or Movies! Those are all Hollywood sets. Not the real California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said my sista! Even tho I'm from So Cal when I was growing up it was a lot like here. I grew up with all open space, rolling grass lands and orchards. Nothing like that now. :(

      Delete
  6. Yes, northern california is gorgeous and certainly less populated than southern california, but where I live in Ventura County there are still very lovely and and less populated ares in which to walk and hike. It's beautiful! And, don't forget, we have many beautiful agricultural fields. I do agree with you about traffic and general population further south. It is way more crowded than it used to be and frustrating if you've lived here very long and have memories of a less crowded time. We don't often head south unless we absolutely have to and even then it's a matter of planning our trip around traffic times. :) We are going to Disneyland next month though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so old I remember when Disneyland opened!!! Gosh, I love that place. Ventura is beautiful, in fact I think the whole state is great and I can't imagine living anywhere else. All the complainy people should move and then we could have more elbow room, lol.

      Delete
  7. I agree. I also live in California. Our home is right outside a small town in the mountains. The town's streets roll up at 8 a clock at night. Your more likely to see someone in boots and a tee shirt then diamond. And heels aren't going to help you much from running away from the critters around here. It's quiet and beautiful here. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle I have to laugh at the picture of me running from a bear in high heels! Oh my. Where do you live? I'm in El Dorado County off Hwy 193 about 50 miles from Lake Tahoe.

      Delete
  8. This looks so beautiful and the way I would love to see California!! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Connie, it is gorgeous, I dont live far from Pat and its such a beautiful county full of Oaks, Pines, Madrones and plenty of Wild Blackberrys...its just lovely!

      Delete
    2. Connie, there are so many beautiful little pockets of California that you just never hear about. Nothing exciting happens here we just roll along a lot like where you live i imagine.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.