Friday, April 19, 2013

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate

Some of you already have strawberries available while the rest of us are still dreaming about them. When they do come in there is often a glut. Now here's an idea about what to do with the excess that I love that comes from the El Dorado County Master Food Preservers newsletter. Make concentrate for Strawberry Lemonade while fresh fruit is in season to use all summer long. I love this refreshing summer drink but it can be a pain to prepare it so having a concentrate in the pantry to take out whenever we're thirsty - what a treat!


Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate!!!

Makes about 7 pints

6 cups strawberries, cleaned and hulled
4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 cups sugar

Directions:
1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready to use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) PURÉE strawberries in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, working in batches, until smooth. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan as completed.
3.) ADD lemon juice and sugar to strawberry puree, stirring to combine. Heat to 190° F over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. DO NOT BOIL!!!. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
4.) LADLE hot concentrate into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
5.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

QUICK TIP:
To reconstitute, mix one part concentrate with one part water, tonic water or ginger ale. Adjust concentrate to suit your taste.
Adapted from El Dorado County Master Food Preserver newsletter http://ucanr.edu/p/28092
Recipe source http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=245

The Self Sufficient HomeAcre



Until next time,

21 comments:

  1. Awesome! My strawberries are not ready yet, but I'm lovin' this idea. Thanks so much. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're like me you either have no berries or too many all at once. so we need ways to enjoy them and stretch the season.

      Delete
  2. This looks and sounds scrumptious!!! I can't wait for strawberries, I'm saving this to try as soon as they come in! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pinterest link wasn't working but I fixed it so you should be able to pin it now and enjoy strawberry season all the more. Yummy is right. Thanks for stopping by do come again.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I'm going to pin this so I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, pinterest was unable to fetch the image.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know Kristi, I fixed the link and you should be able to pin it now.

      Delete
  4. I found you on Dolly's hop. so glad I did. I now have you on my blog list. So I won't miss a post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, thanks Michelle. Happy Spring hope it's sunny where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to give this a whirl! Now if the weather would ever start acting like spring instead of winter... Think I will give this a try with Raspberries too! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh raspberries, sounds yummy great idea.

      Delete
  7. That sounds delicious! Can't wait to have enough strawberries to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know I'm so looking forward to strawberry season too.

      Delete
  8. Sounds yummy. I might just freeze it instead of processing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea how about freezing in ice cube trays?

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hope you get a chance to enjoy this this season.

      Delete
  10. That is brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing. My hubby will be delighted.

    -Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so yummy! I featured it today on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope to see you again today. :)
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-creative-homeacre13.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for sharing on your blog hop.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.