Monday, April 8, 2013

Garden Dreaming

dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

Actually we've been doing a lot more than dreaming about our garden. Chris and I have been working for months renovating the rose garden bringing it back from the brink of disaster. If you've been reading this blog for a while then you remember what a mess this was last year when we had to remove a hazardous tree from the edge of the garden. You can go to this post and read about it. 


It's taken us a full year to clean up and re-design the space. We decided to turn the rose garden into a rose/vegetable garden. With that huge tree gone we now have plenty of sun to grow veggies as well as flowers!


dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

Chris has been building retaining walls because of the slope and raised beds out of recycled wood. We kept the rock paths and wine bottle edging. Love the way those sparkle in the morning sun! I got busy filling the beds with all that good compost from our hens and transplanting the roses we could save to their new locations. He also built a new pergola to add some interest and just because I needed a place to hang my wind chimes.


dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

I could not wait to plant something so lettuce starts went in before the paths were finished. 


dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

And of course my beloved rhubarb! I won't be able to harvest any this year but a garden is all about the future and waiting for what comes next. I can just taste it, yummy. 


dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

The tulips are popping up and the girls are enjoying their new view. I'm dreaming and planning just what I'm going to plant in all those beds. Oh, the possibilities!

 



The Self Sufficient HomeAcre
 http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/creativehomeacre11.html













Until next time,

15 comments:

  1. It's looking so nice! In a few months, everything will be all grown in, blooming, producing. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see you're a garden dreamer like me!

      Delete
  2. It is looking great! I wanted to ask about the round water feature you made with what looks like a planter? and statue.
    I have one of those round black plastic type pond containers, but not quite sure what to do with it. Do you just keep yours filled with water, does it have a pump....? Your garden sure looks nice. We have no deer fencing, so they would eat everything in sight, quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. inches of garden soil and fill with water. You need some water plants. I use water lilies and some water weeds. Look for winter hardy varieties for your climate. When the dirt has settled and water is clear you can add fish. Don't spend a lot on the fish cuz most will die. I use common feeder gold fish. I start with at least 10 and end up with 4 or 5. Once the hardy fish survive they will live for a long time - years even. They live through the winter by hiding under the dead looking plants and come up to the surface when it's warm and the plants come back to life. I don't have a fountain on the little pond you see and the water is crystal clear. You are aiming to produce a little ecosystem that takes care of it self. I don't even feed the fish they eat bugs and algae. If mosquito larvae overpopulate, the fish take care of them. If you don't want fish you need a mosquito dunk (little disks ) you can buy at pond supply. When the water gets low I fill with the hose.

      Maybe more info than you wanted to know. Maybe I should do a post hummm

      Delete
    2. Thank you Patricia for all the info. Yes, a blog post with pictures would be great! Raccoons? Do they bother your water barrels?

      Delete
  3. YAY! Looks awesome Pat! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I know what you mean.

      Delete
  4. Saw your post over @ Sew Many Ways. Funny -- our posts almost had the same titles! I love your garden area and your bright colored little shed! I can see you have put in alot of hard work. You inspire me to get busy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy for the compliments. My shed is the Palacio de Las Galinas the Chicken Palace! I certainly could get behind that bathroom dream of yours!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Patricia - What wonderful dreams you have going on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kris I can hardly restrain myself from planting. Almost time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of the wine bottles lining the path! I'd love to have them all blue!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had those wine bottle lining the paths for over 10 years without a problem, they're very sturdy. I'd love all blue too but you'd have to drink a lot of gin for that! I do have a few blue bottle since one of my sons is a gin and tonic drinker when he visits at Christmas. The bottles look so pretty in th emorning light after I water.

      Delete
  8. The garden is looking nice, even better when everything is growing big and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I can hardly wait until it's time to plant. Mother's Day is the traditional last frost date in our neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.