Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chicken & Herbs

rooster and hens dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

 From the post title bet you thought this was gonna be about a dinner recipe. Nope it's about feeding my chickens and the weather. We talk a lot about the weather living in the country. It's practically a sport.

It rained heavily for several days this past week which is great news. This has been a freakishly warm and mostly dry winter and the rain is greatly appreciated. It's a far cry from the first winter we spent here on Dogwood Lane. Boy oh boy, that winter it rained cats and dogs for forty days and forty nights! I set Chris to work building the ark and we both were starting to grow webs between our toes!! I'm a So. Cal gal - it does not rain in the south! Or hardly ever and that much water from the sky was a hardship. But like most things in life I got used to wet winters pretty quickly and now that our climate has changed so radically the last few years I miss the gloomy skies.


lemon balm dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Lemon Balm
Anyway, the rain followed by sunny days has brought a bumper crop of the early herbs. The first to show up around here are the perennials - lemon balm and surprisingly, oregano. I would think that oregano would wait for it to get a little warmer but 35* nights don't seem to bother this hardy plant that reseeds itself every year.


oregano dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Oregano
I'm happy to see these herbs because they make a healthy, nutritious treat for my laying hens. We don't use pesticides or chemicals of any kind on any part of our gardens so as I pass through each day on my way to the hen yard I snip and collect as I go. Newly emerging weeds go in the basket too along with grass cuttings and nips and tucks from straying new growth. The garden gets a trim and Silent Bob and the girls get a healthful, green snack.


chickens eating herbs dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

 They come running when I call!







Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. I am so close to getting chickens, I have been doing some readying on them and I just love your post and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. Don't wait you'll love having cooks in your yard. We've kept hens for more years than I can count and they are such a pleasure easy and funny and the eggs are delish!

      Delete
  2. Hi Patrica! You know--my lemon balm, oregano, mint, and catnip went absolutely crazy this year, but my chickens don't seem to care much for any of it. :( Good thing I can use it for tea and seasoning. :)

    I'd like to invite you to share this post and up to two others at Farm Girl Blog Fest #28, which is live right now. You would be a great addition to the wonderful posts that are shared!

    Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest #28

    Hope to see you there!
    ~Kristi@Let This Mind Be in You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feathered kids will eat anything lol. I'm hopping over thanks for the invite.

      Delete
  3. Love this post! I grow the chickens a whole herb garden. So much nutrition in the culinary herbs.
    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily
    www.fresh-eggs-daily.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The herbs are scattered throughout the yard, I grow them for cooking, the chickens, pest control and because I love them. When I need them for cooking I just step outside and harvest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.