Friday, March 8, 2013

Rice Cakes

Judy at Patchwork Times had a post a while back about how she made oatmeal and froze it so she could pop it out and have it anytime and it got me thinking.


making microwaveable brown rice cakes

We've been trying to use more brown rice in our diet but the darn stuff takes so long to cook and I don't always plan ahead enough to include it in the meal. What if I use Judy's idea for rice instead of oatmeal. I've seen packages of precooked brown rice at the market for sale for a whole lot of money. Just too expensive for me. Maybe I can reproduce those. It turns out I can, easy and inexpensive. I used my new pressure cooker too. I made a batch of brown rice in the pressure cooker in 10 minutes using broth and herbs to add flavor. Then I used cooking spray to grease up my muffin tins well and put 1/2 cup of cooled rice in each cup, a perfect serving size for one person. 


Now you know just how old my muffin tins are!
These went into the freezer until solid then I popped them out of the tin and put them into labeled freezer bags. Full disclosure here - it took me a minute to figure out I needed to set the tins in about an inch of warm water to loosen the bottom before the rice cakes would come out.


It takes about two minutes in the microwave to reheat the cakes and presto brown rice for dinner!

A dinner of left overs - brown rice, broccoli, sweet potato, and roast chicken. That chicken looks a little dry but it tasted good.
 Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Great idea Pat. Anything to make meals easier is a plus! Dinner looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since doing this we are eating brown rice something I really didn't do before because it just took too long to cook. I'm happy it worked. I'm going to try barley and lintels next so we can have a variety of side dishes.

      Delete
  2. Good for you... I love it when a plan works..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually surprised when something actually works the first time I try it!

      Delete
  3. I might have to try that. Does the rice change texture after it's frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I used the pressure cooker to cook my brown rice I probably over cooked it a little but the rice did not change texture from being frozen and reheated. It was really quick, only two minutes to reheat!

      Delete
  4. I confess to being one of those who uses the instant pre-cooked brown rice packages--we buy them on sale and since it is just the two of us, we split the bag perfectly. But I love your idea for fast and easy brown rice too. I don't have a pressure cooker but your method worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie I'm all in favor of using whatever gets the job done and if I were still working full time I'd probably go for store bought too. Now days I'm all about doing for ourselves as much as possible just because we can which doesn't mean I won't ever go for absolute convenience tomorrow. *;) winking

      Delete
  5. Thanks Judy as I said you were my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.