Wednesday, March 20, 2013

New Boots

It's a rainy first day of spring here in the Sierra foothills but the previous week was sunny and mild, perfect hiking weather. AND I have new boots! Aren't they neat? Time to get them dirty so Chris and I headed out with River to a trail close by to try them out.



River has some new gear as well. Here she is modeling her new pack. At 8 months she's old enough to carry a light load and she was able to haul her own water and water dish for her first pack outing. Doesn't she look proud of herself?



River and Chris at the trail head. This is an all use trail/bridle path so really good practice for River with runners, hikers, horses and even trail bikes sometimes popping up. She took the whole thing in stride, alert but calm. So far she's turning into a perfect hiking companion.



River does not like the water AT ALL! Ironic huh? Once summer hits and we take her to the lake with Shadow I think she'll get the idea but for now she just can't stand to get her toes wet. What a princess.



Yes, I'm including a picture of me in my new boots just to prove to you I was there. Glamorous as always. We had a great day knowing that the good weather is fleeting and we can expect more cold maybe even snow again before true spring arrives. 

circa 2011 The ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop



Until next time,

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful weather + dog + new boots = great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right! How's the new puppy doing?

      Delete
  2. Looks like a beautiful trail! Love your new boots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome trail but...both sides of the trail is festooned with poison oak! Yikes - keep that dog on the trail.

      Delete
  3. River has sure grown! I like your new boots too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue boots are cool and comfortable, I haven't had new ones in 20 years! River is 8 months and a teenager now with a doggy mind of her own, a bit of a handful right now.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for River and your new boots. I hope she learns to appreciate the water this summer. Thanks for linking up and sharing on Farmgirl Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took her down to the American River this weekend and our Border Collie Shadow showed her what to do to cool off. She caught on pretty fast so I think the summer should be fun for all.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I'm visiting from the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop! Glad I found you, I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and hope you keep coming back to Dogwood Lane for chickens and dogs and cooking and...

      Delete
  6. Great boots - looks like a wonderful hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new boots are comfortable! It's been 20 years since I've had new pair can you believe it? They are so light and BLUE! That trail is minutes from my house I feel so lucky.

      Delete
  7. Hi Patricia! New boots are the bomb in a farmgirls world! Love your pooch... looks like a great day for an outing! Where in the Sierra foothills are you California or Nevada... I'm a Reno girl but transplanted in MA now...Thanks for sharing on the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on the California side just below Tahoe between Hwy 50 & Hwy 80. Reno is a nice day trip for us when the weather is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.