Monday, March 25, 2013

Meeting Freddy Moran



quilt self portrait

 I had such an unexpected thrill this weekend. The local quilt guild Foothills Quilters guild held their annual quilt show and I was the first person in the door on Sunday morning - literally! It wasn't that early, 10 AM but I just happened to get there right on time for a change. Anyway the show was just so so in my opinion but unknown to me in another building they had a featured guest artist - Freddy Moran! I almost missed it. It wasn't well marked and no one at the show was talking it up. I just happened to wander into the right place and came upon one of my quilting idols! It felt like walking into a museum side room and stumbling across Picasso sitting at a table surrounded by his paintings. I was gob smacked! Freddy was so charming and friendly, we chatted for quite a bit I probably sounded like an idiot I was so star struck. When I asked if it would be OK if I took pictures she said her feelings would be hurt if I didn't.



Today and tomorrow I'll share the exhibit with you so your eyes won't bug out of your head all at once. Unfortunately the display was not the best and I couldn't get a good angle on a lot of these amazing quilts. Let me just say they are a feast for the senses.  If you are not familiar with Freddy Moran's work I found this small biography online:
Freddy Moran likes to divide her life into three periods: school years, parenting years, and artist years. She graduated form Dominican College, a small liberal arts women's college in San Rafael, California. Pottery was Freddy's first love, and she majored in art. After graduation, she married her childhood sweetheart, Neil----they met when they were 12 and 13. Fifty-three years later they are still boyfriend and girlfriend. Freddy and Neil raised a family of five sons. Their children's families, including 13 grandchildren, live near by and continue to keep her busy and fill her with joy. 
Her first quilting book, Freddy's House, brought her fearless use of color to a wide audience and is still in demand. Freddy travels and teaches extensively, challenging quilters to break the rules and do what works best for them. She has appeared on national television programs including the DIY network. "Red is neutral" is her quilting mantra.
Now on to her AMAZING, FEARLESS and JOYFUL quilts. I hope you get as much pleasure from these photos as I got from seeing them in person. 

ladies in the house Freddy Moran

This quilt was so heavily beaded it looked like it was lit with electricity! It was stuck in a dark corner and I couldn't get a good picture.


I'll show you the rest tomorrow. Linking to Patchwork Times for more inspiration.
Until next time,
 



26 comments:

  1. How exciting - I would love to meet her. Love her quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get the chance soon absolutely fabulous!

      Delete
  2. I just love her work. I stumbled on a book of her work a few years ago. She is great inspiration. Was this quilt show in California?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this show was in Auburn, CA my backyard so to speak. I'm still smiling!

      Delete
  3. Lucky you! I have taken a class from her on houses. She is a wonderful lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much fun that must have been. Her house quilts were so exuberant! She was very warm and easy to talk to.

      Delete
  4. I heard Freddy Moran talk and saw her fabulous quilts at the first fiber/quilt show I ever attended--I went to see the knitting, but she still made a huge impression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You went to a show expecting knitting and got fabulous happy houses instead. Serendipity.

      Delete
  5. She is wonderful! Her quilts are exciting and fun to see! I love her house quilt, and her trademark red frame eyeglasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those glasses a hoot? She is simply fabulous her quilts really speak to me.

      Delete
  6. What a great surprise for you and thank you for sharing Freddy with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still feel happy remembering how her art made me feel seeing it for the first time. Isn't that great?

      Delete
  7. I agree that Freddie is SUCH an inspiration! I DO wanted to go to this quilt show but I'm in Texas of all places. I did see Freddie speak in Lincoln recently though so I got my 'fix'. She's teaching at Thimble Creek soon, you might want to sign up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you missed seeing Freddy and her quilts but hopefully Texas has it's attractions.

      Delete
  8. Totally exuberant quilter--I love her big red glasses too :) What a great surprise for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a great show -- Freddy is my idol too - her first book changed my quilting life. I LOVE how she works with color. It is just sooo happy! Thanks for sharing -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, glad you found this post. This show and meeting Freddy was definitely a highlight of 2013 for me made me smile for days.

      Delete
  10. Oh, how wonderful! Thank you for showing some of her quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Erica. Hope you get the chance to see them in person yourself sometime they are glorious!

      Delete
  11. I love it when the quilter dresses like her quilts! These quilts are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that something? So out there and yet so authentic at the same time. She looked wonderful and she was sooooo nice. Since hardly anyone was paying attention to this exhibit??? I got to chat with her for quite a bit but then I moved on for fear she would think I was some kind of crazy stalker person lol!

      Delete
  12. Oh, my gosh! How lucky were you to be in the right place at the right time?! What an artist she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right she is a true artist whose medium just happens to be cloth. I spent so much time just drinking in the color and composition of these quilts, they were truly works of art.

      Delete
  13. I absolutley love Freddy Moran- I saw her on television years ago when Alex Anderson had a show called Simply quilts. I have both of her and Gwen's collaborative quilting books and I go to them when I need some inspiration. I love color and she is the queen of color. How lucky you are to have seen her and her quilts in person. Thanks for sharing your experience. You made my day.
    Warmest regards from Alberta Canada,
    Anna
    quiltmom1@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch all of those Alex Anderson shows too, don't you miss those? Color comes in handy on those long Canadian winter days I'll bet. Helps to keep you warm from the outside in! Thanks for stopping by my part of the No. Cal Woods.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.