Monday, March 11, 2013

DWM/Piecing Progress on Fall Jewels


 The weather has been all over the place this week giving me some sewing room time. Whenever it's rainy I retreat upstairs and get some quality time in with the rotary cutter and Janome 6600. Remember how I found that project box with all the pieces already cut out? I got down to serious sewing and turned those bits into flying geese and half triangle squares. A LOT of flying geese and half triangle squares! 



The original cutting directions had said to cut squares 2 7/8", draw a line and sew on either side of the line, cut down the middle and presto two half triangle square that will measure 2 1/2". Now this is the way I usually make those units but believe me when I tell you that if I had followed directions I would not have ended up with 2 1/2"  half triangle squares. No Way! I'm just not that accurate. Instead I cut the original square at 3" giving myself a little more wiggle room and trimmed those babies down to 2 1/2". That extra 1/8" makes all the difference to me in being able to have completely accurate squares.


QUILTER KNOW THYSELF! If your not the most accurate piecer do yourself a favor and read the directions, figure out what they're really asking you to do and why and how that works for you. You can always take away but you can't add on



Here's the first block mock-up. Isn't it fabulous?

It's Design Wall Monday on Judy's blog so go see what's up over at Patchwork Times.

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. yes it is! very pretty, makes a nice block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These colors just speak to me, now to get busy and piece, piece...

      Delete
  2. The fabrics are great, as are the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly love that large scale print don't you? The acorns just send me *;) winking

      Delete
  3. It is also a LOT easier to see the 3" mark on the ruler than the 2 7/8, lol! I would do the same just to save time. Looking very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Annie, I'm all about easy and saving time!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.