Monday, February 25, 2013

DWM/Blogger Girl BOM February

I'm all caught up and just under the wire for the February blocks for the Blogger Girls BOM.


I like these blocks. They came out straight believe me even though they don't look like it in this picture and I learned a new piecing technique on this one that I previously struggled with on my Memories of Provence quilt. I won't even begin to try to explain what that was. I'll just say that if you go to the Open Gate Quilts page and download the FREE block instructions there are very clear directions for how to piece those tricky looking corners.



Remember the idea is to take the first block and make it look completely different by changing the fabric placement.


How do you think I did this time? Same block different fabric placement.

And now for an epic fail! I got so excited to get going on this block that I chose my fabrics, got down to cutting and sewing and had the first block made in no time at all only to discover that I had chosen the totally WRONG background fabric! The background in these blocks needs to be all the same so that they blend in the end. What was I thinking?


Oh well! A nice practice block before I got down to business. Now I really know how to piece those corners. Today is Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times so head over and see what other super creative people are up to.

Until next time,

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I heart the paisley it just speaks to me. Can you hear the '60's calling?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Julianne. You've been busy as usual. Love the field trip the bakery sounds amazing and fattening!

      Delete
  3. Very nice! That is a lot of pieces for one little block and stitching hints are certainly most helpful. I like your "oops" block and am sure you can find a great use for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the three I like the oops the best! Oh well. I've had so much computer trouble this week I had major withdrawal glad to be back.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty squares! So many pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying these fabrics and colors and the challenging piecing too.

      Delete
  5. Your pieceing skill is amazing. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jacqueline. If you only knew how long each of these takes me to do you I doubt you would be quite so impressed but I persevere.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love your work! Quilts always remind me of times when people make them for our sick patients in the hospital. It's amazing how gorgeous they turn out!
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I belong to an organization called Sew 4 Vets which makes quilts for veterans in the hospital and absolutely love imagining that our efforts are making someone else happy and showing them that they are cared for. I think that even if the gift is simple it can mean a lot.

      Delete
  7. All of your blocks look wonderful. Lately I have been making mug rugs out of "mistake blocks" and leftovers from other pieces. The more I use mug rugs the more I need so I plan to have a never ending supply. Besides, they make great gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Gari mug rugs are so useful so they might as well be pretty too. I'm late to the whole mug rug thing but now that I've jumped on that wagon I'm all in.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful blocks and the backgrounds are very similar and might work! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll save that oopsie for something else even though I like it the best! Wouldn't you know?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.