Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Recipe & Review

I received two cookbooks for Christmas to add to my already vast cookbook collection. What can I say I love reading cookbooks. I love the pretty pictures and I love imagining just what the ingredients will taste like together. If I'm hungry I can read a recipe and it's almost like eating the food. Weird right? So I was thrilled to get two more without even asking.


Let me say right now that this review is my opinion alone and has absolutely nothing to do with anything or anyone else. I love all things Paula Dean but didn't have any of her books so was really pleased to get Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible. What a disappointment :( No pictures always a no no in my opinion and the recipes themselves are very hard for my eyes to follow. Something about the type or color or the way the ingredients are listed makes it such that key steps can be easily missed unless you read over and over and over.

I also received a  real popover pan for Christmas so I tried her Brunch time Popovers first. Now I've made popovers a million times in regular muffin tins so this should have been a slam dunk for me. Paula's method is different from mine so I thought I'd give it a try her way. Epic fail. Brunch time hockey pucks was more like it. The dogs and chickens were thrilled. I'll go back to my method which always works.

Cinnamon Toast Muffins
Next up was Paula's Cinnamon Toast Muffins. Now here's a recipe I can get behind. These are pretty dense but really delicious. They taste like cake doughnuts, what could be bad about that? I shared with my family down the road and they asked me to make them again with a little more nutmeg to enhance the doughnut quality so I'd give this recipe a thumbs up. 

Cinnamon Toast Muffins
adapted from Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible
 Muffins
3 cups  all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup whole milk
2 tbsp buttermilk (this is a ridiculous amount in my opinion either have buttermilk or don't in the recipe but I did it anyway. I know you need the acid of the buttermilk but really is this the best way with this fussy little amount/)
8 tbsp butter(1 stick) plus 2 tbsp (1/4 stick) butter at room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
2 lg eggs
Coating
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
8 to 12 tbsp (1 to 1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted

Lovin' from the oven
1. To make the muffins: Preheat the oven to 375* grease 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and dust with flour.
2. Sift together dry ingredients in med. bowl. In small bowl whisk together milk and buttermilk.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined. 
4. With mixer at low speed beat 1/4 flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in 1/3 milk mixture. Alternate dry and wet ending with dry. (Don't over mix this is what makes baked goods tough.)
5. Fill muffin tin with batter to the rim. Bake until golden about 20 minutes. Let the muffins cool in pan about 5 minutes then remove to wire rack.
6. To prepare coating: In a small bowl combine cinnamon and sugar. Brush each muffin top with melted butter. (I dipped mine) Then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. (I rolled mine around in it)

Before topping
So a mixed review. One recipe fell flat and one was delicious so I think overall the recipes are probably fine. If I were buying this cookbook instead of receiving it as a gift I'd have to give it a pass because of the difficulty reading the recipes (to me) and because there are few/no pictures.

Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. I agree, cookbooks need photos. I haven't made any of her recipes, hope some of them turn out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cookbook without pictures is just kind of flat to me but I'm sure that most of the recipes will be great. What can go wrong with all that butter??

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.